Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sertik
Topic Author

Osamahfarhan script`s collection

Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:54 am

A collection of various general-purpose functions (working with strings, arrays, time, etc...)

https://github.com/osamahfarhan/mikrotik

I think it will be useful to many. I would ask Rextended to look at this collection if he hasn't seen it before. Perhaps you can get ideas and algorithms from it, as well as include ready-made functions in the collection of our forum.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Osamahfarhan script`s collection

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:42 am

Headache-inducing, not paginated and the variables are called a,b,c,d etc...

They are from 3 years ago, I expected you to at least fix them with the latest things you learned.

Sertik
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:14 am

If I edit them, I'll make more mistakes. I thought they would be useful to you, for ideas or work on your own scripts. As for variables-letters - yes, it is not readable, but when it is a complete function or library, what difference does it make? The main thing works. After all, when a programmer, for example, writing in C uses some library of functions in his work, he does not check its correctness, because it is considered ready. Now, if you Rex had written a universal library (or libraries) of functions for ROS containing functions for working with strings, arrays, time, sorting functions, transcoding into various encodings and formats, etc ... we would have erected a monument to you during your lifetime. :)
I think that such work is feasible only for a programmer of your level.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:47 pm

for a programmer of your level.
Please, I'm just one of many programmers who also script RouterOS.
Certainly there are others who are better, at least they are not good with the work of others
(I want to clarify that I am not referring to you or to some user HERE on THIS forum...)

I still have to thank you because you share, unlike others (see note above) who just take…

Sertik
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:01 pm

I still have to thank you because you share, unlike others (see note above) who just take…
Thank you, Rex! I don't think you're one of many... Yes, I have seen several people writing close to you, but you can count them on your fingers ... (i.e. there are very few of them). I can also share a link to some grandiose script library that I don't understand what it does at all:

https://github.com/merlinthemagic/MTM-R ... -Scripting

And also to the script library from Grzegorz Budny:

https://github.com/gbudny93/RouterOS_Useful_Scripts

And also to the script library from Christian Hesse:

https://github.com/eworm-de/routeros-scripts

May be useful to you.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 pm

Look at what they put in that library 16 hours ago, not even a thank you...
Do you understand what I mean now?

My original (04 Mar 2023, 02:34):
viewtopic.php?p=988931#p988056

Copied (Commits on Mar 9, 2023):
https://github.com/merlinthemagic/MTM-R ... Base64.rsc

Although I have to admit that AT LEAST the link from the topic he got it from, he put it there...

Sertik
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:05 pm

So these guys are just stealing your scripts ? I never thought it was possible on Github... Although one programmer told me about this ... Well, what can I say, I don't even know. If they take it from us, they usually refer to the author.
Well, at least they referred to your post (viewtopic.php?t=194152), but without specifying the author.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:47 pm

So these guys are just stealing your scripts ?
@rextended, first you do great work! And, I borrow from some of your scripts all the time!

But it is unclear what style of attribution you'd like in the code/elsewhere. MTM/eworm have a license in GitHub that says what needs to be done. When I use your script as part of larger scripts, I generally use the forum URL with some note like "adapted from", since often I change them to match my style.

I don't think anyone has problem crediting your work, but your "snippets" don't have any guidance on what that looks like. Especially when they make it GitHub etc.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:24 am

I prefer that simply the topic from which it is taken is reported, but that the user does not write or pretend that he wrote it.

If instead it is part of several fragments, write the original author is enough ;)

Instead, if someone use it for commercial purposes, clearly indicate the original author on the MikroTik forum.

But then I don't do it for the glory, but it annoys me when they credit the work,
I prefer rather than the user write "I copied it somewhere, I don't remember" instead of crediting themselves.