Community discussions

MikroTik App

homelabnewbie
just joined
Topic Author

CCR 2216-1G-12XS-2XQ noise levels

Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:21 pm

Hello,

I am trying to install CCR 2216-1G-12XS-2XQ in my homelab, but the noise levels even without a single SFP port is in use is too high.

See attached screenshot or values below:
[admin@MikroTik] /system/health> print
Columns: NAME, VALUE, TYPE
# NAME                 VALUE     TYPE
0 cpu-temperature      60        C
1 switch-temperature   44        C
2 fan1-speed           4470      RPM
3 fan2-speed           4530      RPM
4 fan3-speed           4530      RPM
5 fan4-speed           4500      RPM
6 board-temperature1   29        C
7 board-temperature2   30        C
8 psu1-state           ok
8 psu2-state           fail
This is when the device is completely idle, not a single port in use (apart from MGMT ether).

Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise? The rack is literally 1m away from my head at home, I have another 3 servers and a wireless router and none of them make nearly that much noise, even when at 100% utilisation.

The reason I got this router is, I have access to cheap 10Gb/25Gb fiber at home, and want to have at least 10Gb (maybe 100Gb) connectivity between my home servers and NAS.

---

It appears that the majority of the noise is coming from the PSU (maybe the PSU integrated fan?). Has anyone attempted to silence it somehow, maybe by replacing the PSU or the fan it comes with?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

homelabnewbie
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CCR 2216-1G-12XS-2XQ noise levels

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:08 pm

Are there any compatible premium quiet fans out there that I could swap the originals with?

I watched a few videos on youtube where people are modding other Mikrotik routers/switches, but I haven't seen such a power connector at other fan vendors (such as Noctua).

Photos are of dismantled hotswap fan - https://mikrotik.com/product/hotswapfan