Community discussions

MikroTik App

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

PowerboxPro / QCA8337 - VLAN with HW offload possible?

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:54 am

I have a few sites that are running a powerbox pro as a distribution switch. Fine for lower data rates <200mbit/s but they choke up and limit speeds a lot after that
The standard model I use is creating a bridge, adding all the ports, enabling VLAN filtering, assigning VLAN's and port isolation/horizon

This disables hardware offload and kills the throughput
I can afford to do away with port isolation but in many instances I do need the ability to forcefully tag a port that is directly connected to a customer. VLAN filtering will disable HW offload on all ports
Is there a way to do VLAN tagging/stripping in hardware? and/or at least keep HW offload active for all the other ports so they can still pass data at wire speed

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PowerboxPro / QCA8337 - VLAN with HW offload possible?

Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:04 am

in that devices is common to pass up to 500-600mbps of internet tráffic without problem by software bridging this is the most common scenario

if you want to do it by hardware you can but only using eth1 to eth5, sfp interface is not inside the switching chip so any traffic to and/or from sfp interface will be forwarded by software

information about switching with this small devices switch chip
Switch Chip Features
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... p+Features