Community discussions

MikroTik App

bornpilot
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik and Dante/NDI AV in general

Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:47 am

In the AV world how well does Mikrotik keep with transporting NDI and Dante traffic, and with Mikrotik should I keep them on physically separated networks or does Mikrotik hold up well? I know Netgear has a line of switches gears for Media content such as NDI and Dante.

Thoughts?

-Tim

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik and Dante/NDI AV in general

Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 am

Well, Dante and NDI aren't really that picky. They just need PTPv1. Why a cheap Netgear dumb switches generally just works. But never seen RouterOS specifically have trouble with either IF configured correctly.

Don't know your typical channel counts...but 32 channels of Dante is still only <50Mb of traffic. Assuming we're talking about "regular" NDI ("HX"), video is bigger, but even if 40Mb/camera still isn't that much to moderately sized RouterBoard. NDI is even more tolerate of latency than Dante. Even some of the smaller RouterBoards can handle a modest production if just NDI and Dante. If you were talking about ST2110, I'd be a little more leary, since that is a shit ton of data and pickier on timing. But I'm not sure I'd use a Netgear for ST2110 either.

RouterOS has ton a lot of useful tools to troubleshoot anything. Or deal with potentially NAT'ing the various static M&C networks, or connect to upstream internet, etc. They really are a swiss army knife. BUT...while powerful, RouterOS is complex – one wrong change, you can be in a world of hurt, at the wrong time. That being said, I'm not sure VLAN etc are that much easier to configure in Netgear than Mikrotik (e.g. you're still doing things in multiple places to add/change the VLANs), and you'd still likely need a router with the Netgear anyway. The nice part on the Mikrotik is the config/etc for a simple soundboard and stage box on a low-end RouterBoard, is pretty much the same on as you scale up in ports/capacity.

Maybe take a look at the RB5009. Those have the nice property of fitting in a audio rack case, and the PoE one I know does work with Dante AVIO adapters. My concern is just that RouterOS is NOT something you want someone else to have to learn on the fly - so your specific needs/workflow likely matter a lot here.