Community discussions

MikroTik App

DaneelOlivaw200
just joined
Topic Author

Downgrading RouterOS

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:37 am

I just upgraded to 7.8 on one of my routers.

It appears the SFP ports don't work (Which is bad :().

My question is, per this link: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... g+RouterOS

It shows that I have to use the factory default version on the router, but I just want to go down to 7.7. What is the simplest path to this solution?

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Downgrading RouterOS

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:52 am

first -> drag and drop v.7.7
second -> /system package downgrade

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:55 am

@DaneelOlivaw200, I think you are misunderstanding what it says: (quoting it)
-------------
Yes, you can downgrade RouterOS, but only until the factory installed version, which you can check with this command:

/system/resource/print

uptime: 4w4d18h21m5s
version: 6.49.6 (stable)
build-time: Apr/07/2022 17:53:31
factory-software: 6.45.9
The factory-software is the oldest version supported by this device.
------------

The point it is making is that you can install any version from 6.45.9 or higher, but nothing lower than the factory-software, which is 6.45.9 in the example they gave.

So you can downgrade to the version you were previously using directly, no need to go all the way back to the lowest version your device supports, and then upgrade.

If you have not done so already, make a backup and save an export as well.

You may want to watch this youtube video. MikroTik Tutorial 101 - How to Downgrade your Firmware (but I don't understand the reason for downgrading the bootloader firmware (the routerboard firmware) "upgraded" in the last step of the video, I have never done that, I never use that step unless it is actually going to upgrade the firmware). The official docs don't instruct you to do that part when downgrading RouterOS)

You don't specify what device you have. If your device has enough flash storage, you can make a backup of your running partition to another, so it makes it possible to revert more easily. See Partitions

DaneelOlivaw200
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:24 pm

first -> drag and drop v.7.7
second -> /system package downgrade
This worked. Thank you!

DaneelOlivaw200
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:25 pm

@DaneelOlivaw200, I think you are misunderstanding what it says: (quoting it)
-------------
Yes, you can downgrade RouterOS, but only until the factory installed version, which you can check with this command:

/system/resource/print

uptime: 4w4d18h21m5s
version: 6.49.6 (stable)
build-time: Apr/07/2022 17:53:31
factory-software: 6.45.9
The factory-software is the oldest version supported by this device.
------------

The point it is making is that you can install any version from 6.45.9 or higher, but nothing lower than the factory-software, which is 6.45.9 in the example they gave.

So you can downgrade to the version you were previously using directly, no need to go all the way back to the lowest version your device supports, and then upgrade.

If you have not done so already, make a backup and save an export as well.

You may want to watch this youtube video. MikroTik Tutorial 101 - How to Downgrade your Firmware (but I don't understand the reason for downgrading the bootloader firmware (the routerboard firmware) "upgraded" in the last step of the video, I have never done that, I never use that step unless it is actually going to upgrade the firmware). The official docs don't instruct you to do that part when downgrading RouterOS)

You don't specify what device you have. If your device has enough flash storage, you can make a backup of your running partition to another, so it makes it possible to revert more easily. See Partitions
Yes, I think you're right. I may have misread it. The process was very easy to downgrade though, I must say!

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Is the https://mikrotik.com/download page showing any ROS software for anyone?

Here is what I see:
downloads unavailable.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.