Community discussions

MikroTik App

ghamauricio
Topic Author

Considerations on antennae design and product selection

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:08 pm

Hello guys.

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but I'm wondering if I could use some cAP (waiting for ax models to come out) and stick them inside furniture.

The apartment is very minimalistic, and having a space ship in the ceiling would be a total bummer.

The things I've been wondering are related to wave polarization, lobe shape and things like that, and how being at (around) waist level with people and objects in the middle of the way would interfere with the wireless performance.

I wonder if the hAP ax² would be better suited, but I have the idea that cAPs have better wi-fi performance. Would be great to have 2.5gbE ports also.

hAP ax³ is quite big, and has quite big antennas. 😫

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Considerations on antennae design and product selection

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:00 pm

I have a friend who did this with Unifi, hiding them inside cabinets and behind TVs etc. The performance kind of sucks, presumably there's a lot of self-interference from the reflections. I wouldn't recommend it.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:19 pm

Did you install your TV in the closet and shut the door?

How about starting a phone call in the bathroom... Then leaving the phone in there as you walk to the kitchen?

Ca6ko

Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:09 pm

but I'm wondering if I could use some cAP (waiting for ax models to come out) and stick them inside furniture.
Light is the same as radio waves, in the visible range.
If you need to light a room, why do you hang a light bulb from the ceiling instead of hiding it in a closet?
The approach is about the same, either one on the ceiling or several in the corners.
And in general, it all depends on the specific conditions. It is definitely not recommended to place it at waist level

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm

With only one Audience placed to near the center, on top of one closet,
I cover 2 apartments, ~120m² each, one on top of another...

ghamauricio
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:39 pm

It is possible to install cAPs inside furniture, but you may need to consider several factors before doing so. The cAPs are designed to be ceiling-mounted, so their coverage pattern may not be optimal when placed at waist level. The cAPs use omnidirectional antennas, which means they radiate signals in all directions, including through walls and other objects. Depending on the size and materials of the furniture, it may affect the signal propagation and lead to interference.

Regarding the choice between hAP ax² and cAPs, it depends on your specific needs and the size of the apartment. The hAP ax² is a router with built-in wireless access points, while the cAPs are dedicated wireless access points. The hAP ax² is a more powerful device with a higher wireless range and more features, but it also takes up more space and may be more expensive. If you require faster Ethernet ports, then the hAP ax² would be a better choice as it supports 2.5GbE ports.

As for footnote numbering, there are different conventions, but typically footnote numbers reset at the beginning of each chapter or book. To display tooltips when hovering over note numbers, you can use HTML or markdown formatting, depending on the program or software you're using to view the .txt file. For example, in HTML, you can use the <a> tag to create hyperlinks to the footnote text and add the "title" attribute to display the tooltip.
Thank you very much for a proper answer.
I think what I'm asking could only be answered by Mikrotik engineers, but I think that's a bit far fetched.

It would be great to have a graph with the propagation pattern of each Mikrotik wireless product for a start.

What I'm trying to find out is at least the name of the antenna or propagation pattern design of the products.

If a cAP has an omni design it wouldn't matter whether it's at waist level; if it has a sector antenna (which I suspect is the case) it should be positioned upside down and as high as possible. How is the "vertical gain" traded for "horizontal gain"? How is the polarization of such a design, and would it benefit from reflection between brick walls maybe down a corridor? Now how would it behave if it was positioned vertically against a wall?

Is there any difference in antenna design between hAP and wAP? Is the propagation pattern more discoidal or more toroidal?

As for those comparing wireless transmission with lighting design, claiming you simply place the light source at the center of a room as high as possible, be aware that light designers DO place the emitters behind translucent and EVEN OPAQUE obstacles in order to shape the light according to what you want/need. It's called diffuse and indirect lighting (respectively), and as a consumer I need to know what is the best possible product design to fulfill my needs.

ghamauricio
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm

Sorry for the bump, but somehow it got marked as solved while not really being solved.