Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gadg3ts
just joined
Topic Author

fibre connection between 2 x CRS305-1G-4S+ switches maxes at gigabit speeds?

Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:45 pm

Hi,
I have a pair of CRS305-1G-4S+ switches that I've planning on using for a 10Gb (dual) fibre link between my house and workshop.
Where in the latter will sit the data cabinet that has all my virtualisation/backup machines.

Right now the switches are sitting on my desk, with (10GTek) 10G fibre SFP+ adaptors & 50m of cable connected between them.
The issue here, is that between the switches (over fibre), or even just on two ports on one switch (over copper) I can only get a max of ~950Mbit, which obviously seems a bit low.
From the default config, all I've really done so far is:
- removed sfp ports 3&4 from the default bridge
- configured those as an 802.3ad bond (for redundancy, once this is all installed)
- added that bond back to the default bridge
- set all ports on each end to advertise 10G
So now all the devices say they are connected at 10G, but obviously the throughput doesn't reflect that.
RouterOS is 6.48.7 (not using SwitchOS right now as it doesn't have the bandwidth tester, at least in the GUI)
Is there something obvious I'm missing?

In comparison, the 'wire speed' of my studio PC to primary storage machine (Intel 10G nic's on a cat6/7 cable) is about 6.5Gbit/s (iperf3 tests).
So just under 1GB/s file transfers in Windows.
I'm not expecting quite that speed at this price point, but something above 1G would be preferable.
What should the expected throughput be and how can I make that happen?

As a next step, I was thinking to remove the 1Gb port from the bridge and have that as a dedicated management port? So that only the SFP ports are in the bridge.
My day job is in IT and I've had to deal with a variety of Cisco/Juniper devices. so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the concepts, just not with these particular devices.

Thanks,
Sean