Community discussions

MikroTik App

PetyrVeliki
just joined
Topic Author

Brand new hAP ax2 is not working at all ... :(

Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:10 am

I'm trying to setup the brand new router according to the setup guide, but so far absolutely nothing works!

I'm on a Linux laptop, so when I connect the router to the laptop via LAN cable I get this configuration - which is probably what it should be:

And when I run `ipconfig` I see that I have 192.168.88.254. But still - I can do nothing with it ... :(

1. I can't connect to 192.168.88.1. Tried on different browsers, just in case.
2. I can't connect to any of the two WiFi networks. Why do they have password ??? The quick setup guide says nothing about that !!!
3. I tried to power off and on the router so many times - you can guess the result was none!
4. I tried the reset button. At first - it did something weird and the two Mikrotik WiFi networks disappeared. After a lot of struggle I figured out that I had to keep the reset button for a bit longer in order to actually reset the router.

=====

Totally disappointed by this brick so far ... but still - am I doing something wrong here? ... Am I missing something from the quick setup guide? (Which ended up being just a bunch of lies and false statements!)

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Brand new hAP ax2 is not working at all ... :(

Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:38 am

What does
I can't connect to 192.168.88.1. Tried on different browsers, just in case.
mean? And have you tried with SSH?
Is there a password sticker on the RB?

Don't get disappointed, RoutersOS does have a steap learning curve. But once figured out...

PetyrVeliki
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply and for the positive vibe as well.

What I meant is that when I connect my laptop to the router with LAN cable and then try to open 192.168.88.1 - I get a page for connection refused.

Also - I indeed found a sticker on the router, but the letters were sooo little ... I have actually mistaken the password ... :(

And I know that because I managed to make it work. I think the problem was that the router was not connected to the Internet. And it wasn't because my ISP has limitation on MAC address and I wanted to setup all the WiFi stuff before I connect the router and call the ISP to update their configuration.

So ... I ended up with linking the AX2 router with LAN cable to the current WiFi router, and then with another LAN cable I connected my laptop to the AX2 router. Then several minutes passed by until I was able to open 192.168.88.1 - and then update the OS, configure stuff ... and also see that I've mistaken the password from the sticker.

=====

So - is this really a requirement for the router to start up - to be connected to the Internet ??? Cause this is super dumb! ... If I didn't have 2 LAN cables - then I was super screwed ... :( ...

And all of this just to setup a WiFi router ... :( ... but still - I hope that the horrible struggle to set it up will pay back in the future, as you implied :)
Last edited by BartoszP on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed excessive quotting of preceding post; be wise, quote smart, save network traffic

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:29 pm

Why your desktop got an IP address, but cannot connect to "webfig" at 192.168.88.1 is a mystery here – that should have just worked & should be no need for a WAN connection. I've never see that just not work on a new unit. My only thought is you may need have needed to http://192.168.88.1 explicitly, since things assume HTTPS your browser may been stuck trying that. But just a guess.

Now the Wi-Fi... The password is tiny...and new "feature" - they used have no initial password and you set it after you connected. So Wi-Fi being password issue make sense. You may have to set your country for Wi-Fi – which would been on the "QuickSet" page on 192.168.88.1. And the Wi-Fi password would have been on that same page to set, too. But the ethernet to webfig admin page problem really did get you on the wrong track here.

I think you may want to upgrade to v7.8. You can do that in System > Packages > Check for Updates. Make sure "stable", and hit "Download&Install". It will reboot. After that reboot, you can check System > RouterBOARD > Settings and make sure "Check for Updates" is checked – this the "firmware" (like BIOS). The reboot once more using System > Reboot.

They are a new device, and even the version 7 OS is still relevantly new... Why the upgrade is so important, they are fixing bugs still –and may have run into on with the initial connection. They do have a TON of features, but that comes at the cost of some usability. And it seems a takes a bit of time for new devices to get all kinks in RouterOS worked out for new hardware.

Good news is once they are stable/working, they do generally stay that way. Getting there is sometimes a struggle.