Community discussions

MikroTik App

bachmarc
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP on ETH/BOOT

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:43 pm

Hello,
I run a CRS 317 with SwOS 2.13. It has a lot of SFP+ Ports and that lonely ETH/BOOT at 1GB/s.
I would like to use it as a normal 1G Port and I thought it will work... I was wrong.
The ETH/BOOT is called "Kilian Cu" and in the "port island" of most other ports of that switch
mikrotik_isolation.JPG
If I plugin a computer the LEDs turn on. I see that SwOS Link tab turning to "link on". I see the host's mac address under "Hosts" BUT I do not get an IP over DHCP.
There is nothing special configured for this port. It all looks like the SFP+ settings I use. I only use VLANs for the smaller island of ports and ETH/BOOT is not part of it.

DHCP & PPPoE Snooping is set to trusted for all ports. Is there a magic setting somewhere that keeps me from using the ETH like a normal port for a client?
I am lost... any host gets immediately an IP if i use a random other port.

Regards Marc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP on ETH/BOOT

Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:03 am

What is supposed to be supplying DHCP?

bachmarc
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:05 am

There is a DHCP Server behind one glasfibre uplink. And for all other ports of the switch the DHCP provides an IP ...
Only the ETH/BOOT somehow is different even if it looks similarly configured. It seems that it is blocked.

Yes I can sit down with wireshark now but my hope was that there is a well known solution, because I cannot be the only one ever trying to use that port

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 pm

You're not giving much to go on. You say there is DHCP server on a port that appears not to exist (or more likely has a different name than what you said) - although your initial post does say the DHCP is on Killian CU. You also have not told us what the PC that does not work is supposed to be plugged into. Lastly no information on VLANs (if being used).
We're not mind readers (and I don't speak German - which is what I'm guessing the names are in). Give us details on what we're trying to see...

bachmarc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:14 pm

Hello,
there is a DHCP Server behind an GanimedUpSolnet and all happens in default VLAN 1. For all SFP+ ports in that "square" in "Port Isolation Tab" I get IPs over DHCP by that server.
Only ETH/BOOT seems to be different. It is similarly configured in all menues I know. For all other ports it did the magic, for ETH/BOOT not.

ETH port is connected, 1Gb/s listed, mac address is listed but no DHCP reaches the client.

VLANs are only used to get 3 WLANs through one cable to the accesspoints. That is the different smaller square... there the DHCP is behind GanimedWifiUp ... at the end the same Server with second glas fibre port. As well here everything works..

BhrabhMikchel
just joined

Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 pm

It sounds like you're trying to use the ETH/BOOT port on your CRS 317 as a standard 1G port, but it's not working as expected. It's important to note that the ETH/BOOT port is designed for emergency management access and not intended for general use as a regular port.

You may want to check the SwOS user manual to see if there are any configuration options that could allow you to use the ETH/BOOT port as a standard port. However, if there aren't any available options, you may need to consider using one of the SFP+ ports instead.

Alternatively, if you really need a 1G port and can't use any of the available SFP+ ports, you may need to look into purchasing a separate switch with the necessary ports to meet your needs.