Community discussions

MikroTik App

pengi
just joined
Topic Author

Separate default routes for different networks

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:09 am

I'm having a setup which contains one public dynamic address, one PPTP tunnel out which give me a network of a /29 network with public IP addresses. My main network is then of course masqueraded, as normal home routers does it.

But the issue I have is, how do I in a good way make the nat:ed subnet and the network behind VPN which has public IP:s use different default routes, so nat:ed goes directly out, but the other one via the VPN.

But to simplify the network, and to understand the concept of the setup, lets imagine instead I have a setup with four interfaces, imagine all being physical interfaces for simplicity.
  • ext-main - dhcp client
  • int-main - 192.168.88.1/24
  • ext-secondary - 10.0.0.2 - default route 10.0.0.1 (link network)
  • int-secondary - 44.1.1.1/29
How do I setup so devices the 192.168.88.1/24 network routes via ext-main and the 44.1.1.1/29 network routes via int-secondary in the same router?

My current setup involves running a CHR in a VM just for that second network, but that sounds overkill and would require a new license for something I don't believe I need. And also don't want due to reliability.