Community discussions

MikroTik App

gdanov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

device-centric view of the network?

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:52 pm

I'm test driving the dude and something I'm puzzled about is how I see one MT router many times — one instance per IP.
How can I merge all these router nodes into one, preferably automatically?

ros 7.8

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: device-centric view of the network?

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:45 pm

You can do that. Each device can have multiple IP addresses, so you can add all of them to one device if you'd like. But those affects more which IP the dude will use to try communicate.

If you're using any of the auto-discovery stuff, you generally want to exclude the router IP from those ranges and manually add RouterOS devices.

But overall it does think more in terms of "monitored IP" (or DNS or any combo of name lookup you want), not really "devices" despite the name. As said, they do let you add multiple IPs per device and auto-discovery may be smart enough to see the same IP is used another device, but dunno. I exclude the routers and generally use the DHCP range as the auto-discovery range in the Dude.

gdanov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: device-centric view of the network?

Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:16 pm

You can do that. Each device can have multiple IP addresses, so you can add all of them to one device if you'd like. But those affects more which IP the dude will use to try communicate.

If you're using any of the auto-discovery stuff, you generally want to exclude the router IP from those ranges and manually add RouterOS devices.

But overall it does think more in terms of "monitored IP" (or DNS or any combo of name lookup you want), not really "devices" despite the name. As said, they do let you add multiple IPs per device and auto-discovery may be smart enough to see the same IP is used another device, but dunno. I exclude the routers and generally use the DHCP range as the auto-discovery range in the Dude.
yes, it's IP centric actually, right. Anyway, I need some way to group the different incarnations of the same device, otherwise the diagram often doesn't make sense. Some subnets aren't properly connected, etc. Even If it added some sort of grouping or special link would've been fine already