Community discussions

MikroTik App

karltw
just joined
Topic Author

AX2 Port issues with fixed speed

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi there,

I just got 2 AX2 Router and both have the same issue. When I set a port to fixed speed the link is not coming up even the other side has the same correct settings. Seems without auto negotiation there is no way to have connectivity.

Anyone else have this issue? RouterOS is 7.8

Thanks
Karl

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: AX2 Port issues with fixed speed

Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:51 pm

Is there any particular reason why you want to fix the link speed?

karltw
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:33 pm

Of course I want to set the speed up as then there is no negotiation going on between the system. All system I have from Mikrotik does not have this issue just the new AX2.

Just a sample: I connect my Dell Laptop to a port and they only have 100MBit negotiated,on a fix speed there is no issue to get 1GBit

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:11 pm

Auto-negotiation includes (brief) link quality check. If negotiation ends up with speeds lower than expected, this indicates a problem with link. Most often it's marginal UTP cables, cable termination or connectors. And yes, some devices can be more susceptible to those problems than other devices.
Of course the problem might be in faulty devices. hAP ax2 are not exactly known to have big problems regarding wired ports. It could be your devices are faulty, but odds to have two devices faulty in exactly same way are very slim.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:12 pm

The gigabit Ethernet spec requires autonegotiation. If it doesn't happen, then generally the cable or port is damaged.