Community discussions

MikroTik App

rfinch23
just joined
Topic Author

setup a mikrotik indoors wifi ap router and pair with a outdoor mikrotik LTE router

Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:21 pm

OK I need to setup a mikrotik indoors wifi ap router and pair with a outdoor mikrotik LTE router
Problem is out the box they both have the same ip address / network. So I need to flaten the indoor ap router to have a differen ip addres / network. Then I need to configure a L2TP connection as a client from iether the LTE router or the indoor ap router, preferably the later. As a bit of a novice with the mikrotik eqioment I really need as much help as possable.

Thank you

Roy.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: setup a mikrotik indoors wifi ap router and pair with a outdoor mikrotik LTE router

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:48 pm

Hi,

Are you aiming to wire them together or connect them over WiFi?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: setup a mikrotik indoors wifi ap router and pair with a outdoor mikrotik LTE router

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:08 pm

I used to have a setup with SXT LTE6, 1 cAP AC and 1 cAP for a vacation home in France (property has been sold).
POE switch in the middle to provide all devices with power and to have wired connectivity between all devices.
I still remember how it was setup.

It might help if you specify exactly which devices you have in mind ?
And maybe a small drawing (can be on paper) picturing the complete setup unless there is only those 2 devices and nothing else ?

I assume your LTE router also needs power via ethernet ?
Will that be done from the indoor AP router (some can deliver POE Out) or through a separate power injector or POE switch (in wich case wired ethernet is the best option for connecting everything).

Default both will have the same subnet, true, but that's easy to change.

Which one will act as DHCP server (device which hands out IP addresses to clients connecting to your network) ?
Which one will act as router ? (since it is possible to use some of the LTE devices as router too)
Will also depend on which devices you will use ?
Other devices on that network to be taken into account ? (printer, PC, ...)

rfinch23
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:18 am

Hi I just want to connect Mikrotik SXT LTE to a MikroTik hAP ac2 over Cat6 cable then use the wifi from the MikroTik hAP ac and possably then add a unifi aircube ac to increase the range of the WiFi.

Roy.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:17 pm

And how will that SXT be powered ?

rfinch23
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:58 pm

THe SXT will be poweres via POE.

rfinch23
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:50 pm

I assume your LTE router also needs power via ethernet ?
Will that be done from the indoor AP router (some can deliver POE Out) or through a separate power injector or POE switch (in wich case wired ethernet is the best option for connecting everything). THIS WILL BE USING A POWER INJECTOR

Default both will have the same subnet, true, but that's easy to change.
OK WILL BE WANTING TO USE A DIFFEREN NETWORK ON THE INDOOR MikroTik hAP ac2 AS THE LTE IS ALREADY INSTALLED AND MOUNTED ON A POLE.

Which one will act as DHCP server (device which hands out IP addresses to clients connecting to your network) ? LTE WILL BE DHCP TO LTE, LTE ROUTER LAN WILL BE DHCP CLIENT TO MikroTik hAP ac2.

Which one will act as router ? (since it is possible to use some of the LTE devices as router too) THE MikroTik hAP ac2 TO ACT AS ROUTER AND L2TP CLIENT
Will also depend on which devices you will use ? IF DEVICES ALLOW
Other devices on that network to be taken into account ? (printer, PC, ...) MAYBE A UNIFI AIR CUBE TO EXTEND WIFI.