MikroTik App

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SwitchOS not forwaring IPV6 packets from one CCR to another

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 am

Hi guys

we have a CRS317 on point A and a CRS305 on Point B..and connected on boths CRS devices running switchOS mode.. we have 2 CCRs1036 on both sides..

both devices are connected via IPv4 on 10G SFP+ ports..

now i have setup a ipv6 1/126 IP on BGP point A... and 2/126 IP on BRAS PointB device...

but i cannot ping each other.. hooked via the CRS devices.. bot running on SwitchOS 2.13 firmware version...
it simply just not pings at all..

And yes IPV6 enabled on both CCRs on both ends..

So i made a new test... hooked up Ether4 from point A BGP directly attached to Ether4 BRAS.. setup the same IPs on both ends.. 1/126 sidea A and 2/126 side B...

and i can ping both ends.. and i can PING BRAS point B to outside ipv6 addresses.. so the issue is related to the CRS devices running switchOS.. simply not forwarding any IPV6 packets

so is there anything that needs to be done to pass ipv6 packets trough both CRS switches passing packets ipv6?

And i am not planning rebooting the switches into RouterOS mode.. would not be an option.. or CRS only forwards packets IPV6 in routerOS mode?

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: SwitchOS not forwaring IPV6 packets from one CCR to another

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:56 am

what makes me more confused is the 2.13 firmware details txt which states the following

*) always forward link local IPv4 & IPV6 packets;

what would it means? it can only forward packtes in link local?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:01 pm

TL;DR ... if you have IGMP snooping enabled on switches, disable it and see if it works then.

I don't have first-hand experience with SwOS, but AFAIK IGMP snooping on both SwOS and ROS is broken and breaks IPv6. At least that was the case in ROS v6 and I haven't checked it with recent ROS versions. Since SwOS is developed much less actively than ROS, I assume they're even less likely to fix it.

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:48 pm

TL;DR ... if you have IGMP snooping enabled on switches, disable it and see if it works then.

I don't have first-hand experience with SwOS, but AFAIK IGMP snooping on both SwOS and ROS is broken and breaks IPv6. At least that was the case in ROS v6 and I haven't checked it with recent ROS versions. Since SwOS is developed much less actively than ROS, I assume they're even less likely to fix it.

Hi

both switches are disable igmp snooping, disabled flood unknown multicast etc.etc.et RSTP also disabled..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm

try enabling flood unknown multicast

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:24 pm

Hi..

will give it a try later and post output results.

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:38 pm

Hiya

i did tried it.. enabled on all ports.. but it did not connect neither could ping from one device to another..