Community discussions

MikroTik App

pmurdock
Topic Author

CCR2216 / L3HW offload = no on WAN port / Simple Queue issues

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:48 pm

I've setup a CCR2216 with L3HW on all ports except WAN port.. I did this to enable NAT / firewall rules on WAN / and simple queues .. ROS v7.7

What I thought was relevant was the config below.. all ports and switch have l3-hw-offloading=yes EXCEPT for WAN port (#8)
# mar/22/2023 10:20:20 by RouterOS 7.7
# software id = B69M-MGXU
#
# model = CCR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ
# serial number = HCB0884V4KY

/interface ethernet switch set 0 l3-hw-offloading=yes
/interface ethernet switch port set 8 l3-hw-offloading=no

from all the other forum posts, this is the recommended approach.. however I am seeing that NAT is working, and firewall works, but simple queues are not as clear whether they pass through or not.. When I run speed tests - tests to some sites bypass the queue, and yet some tests go through the queue (all Oookla).. It's almost like some routes are l3hw routed while some go through CPU and thus through the queue..

is there a way to see which specific IPs are hardware routed (other than ip / routes / print and H flag).. because the H flag is not present on 0.0.0.0/0 gateway route and I see traffic going out WAN port and yet it's not passing through queues.

cheers,
Paul

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR2216 / L3HW offload = no on WAN port / Simple Queue issues

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:56 pm

you have Fast-track Enabled?

pmurdock
Topic Author

Re: CCR2216 / L3HW offload = no on WAN port / Simple Queue issues  [SOLVED]

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:31 pm

No fast-track but I have just found the solution.. It was 2 fold.

1) IPv6 was being used and thus bypassing the IPv6 target on the simple queue.. Some Ookla servers supported IPv6 and some did not.. obviously the ones that DID support IPv6 were bypassing my original simple queue BECAUSE I had only setup IPv4 as the target.

2) AFTER adding IPv6 to the simple queue downloads were properly shaped by simple queue, BUT uploads were not.. I had to DISABLE Mikrotik SWITCH / L3HW Settings / IPv6 HW mode to properly pass IPv6 through simple queue.. so currently it seems IPv6 HW offloading does not necessarily respect the L3HW settings for a particular port (in this case the WAN port)

After these 2 changes queue traffic shaping works.. 🙏🧐👍

cheers!
Paul

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR2216 / L3HW offload = no on WAN port / Simple Queue issues

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:21 pm

No fast-track but I have just found the solution.. It was 2 fold.

1) IPv6 was being used and thus bypassing the IPv6 target on the simple queue.. Some Ookla servers supported IPv6 and some did not.. obviously the ones that DID support IPv6 were bypassing my original simple queue BECAUSE I had only setup IPv4 as the target.

2) AFTER adding IPv6 to the simple queue downloads were properly shaped by simple queue, BUT uploads were not.. I had to DISABLE Mikrotik SWITCH / L3HW Settings / IPv6 HW mode to properly pass IPv6 through simple queue.. so currently it seems IPv6 HW offloading does not necessarily respect the L3HW settings for a particular port (in this case the WAN port)

After these 2 changes queue traffic shaping works.. 🙏🧐👍

cheers!
Paul

Thank you for sharing your findings