Community discussions

MikroTik App

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Best hAP ac3 (WifiWave2) settings for highest compatibility

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:38 am

Maybe the title itself is not related to the issue I'm currently having, but I was wondering what settings would be best to set on my hAP ac3 with the WifiWave2 package enabled so that it's compatible the most with most of devices that has been released for the past 6-7 years?

As of right now I know that Samsung A32 5G, A33 5G, OnePlus 8 and a couple of old laptops don't have any issues, but Honor 50 throws up an exclamation mark and moves to mobile data for the internet. Now I don't see yet why that happened and I've just enabled the debug logging which might show some more issues, but idk why it is happening in the first place, I'm assuming it might be because the SSIDs for both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz being the same and it trying to roam about might cause it some issues... but it worked well with the old hAP AC which I've replaced with it couple of days ago.

I didn't yet try too much and I plan to try out more tomorrow, but it's already late and I'm hoping maybe someone already knows the answer to such issue, and am still curious at what settings would be best for as little intervention as possible. I will try trying out different settings tomorrow.

It's a very clean spectrum, a house with 2 floors and plenty of distance between houses.

Here's my config
[admin@VE156_Kat_hAPac3] > export compact
# mar/24/2023 00:28:18 by RouterOS 7.8
# software id = 
#
# model = RBD53iG-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = 
/interface bridge
add name=bridge_Guest
add name=bridge_Private protocol-mode=none
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge_Private name=vlan100_MGMT vlan-id=100
add interface=bridge_Private name=vlan201_Guest vlan-id=201
add interface=bridge_Private name=vlan202_IoT vlan-id=202
/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disabled=no name=Private
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disabled=no name=Guest
/interface wifiwave2
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.band=2ghz-n .frequency=2412 .width=20mhz configuration.country="United States" .mode=ap .ssid=\
    Private .tx-power=23 disabled=no name=wifi2_Private security=Private
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] channel.band=5ghz-ac .frequency=5180 .width=20/40/80mhz configuration.country="United States" .mode=ap \
    .ssid=Private .tx-power=23 disabled=no name=wifi5_Private security=Private
add configuration.mode=ap .ssid=Private5GHz disabled=no mac-address=0A:55:31:F9:69:90 master-interface=wifi5_Private name=\
    wifi5_Private_Dedicated security=Private
add configuration.mode=ap .ssid=Guest disabled=no mac-address=0A:55:31:F9:69:8E master-interface=wifi2_Private name=wifi2_Guest \
    security=Guest
add configuration.mode=ap .ssid=Guest disabled=no mac-address=0A:55:31:F9:69:8F master-interface=wifi5_Private name=wifi5_Guest \
    security=Guest
/system logging action
set 0 memory-lines=5000
set 1 disk-file-count=5
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=wifi2_Private
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=wifi5_Private
add bridge=bridge_Guest interface=vlan201_Guest
add bridge=bridge_Guest interface=wifi2_Guest
add bridge=bridge_Guest interface=wifi5_Guest
add bridge=bridge_Private interface=wifi5_Private_Dedicated
/ip dhcp-client
add interface=vlan100_MGMT
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Zagreb
/system identity
set name=hAPac3
/system logging
add topics=debug,wireless

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Best hAP ac3 (WifiWave2) settings for highest compatibility

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:27 pm

Well I didn't figure anything out myself.
When the phone connects, it connects over 5GHz and work fine, when I kick it it connects to 2GHz and works fine, when I kick it again the phone gives up and throws an exclamation mark.

I suppose it's the phone not being tolerant to reconnections... I've separated 5GHz SSID for now and it seems not to cause issues while the phone is always connected to 2GHz.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:09 pm

Since Honor50 is relatively new device, you could try different settings for the security protocol.
What I have right now, and works with all devices (I don't have a Honor, but somewhat a brother of it, Huawei), is this setting:
/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk disabled=no name=sec1 sae-pwe=hunting-and-pecking wps=disable
while 2.4GHz and 5GHz share the same SSID.
BTW, if you want it to connect to 5GHz only, why not use AccessList and block it from accessing 2.4GHz network?

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks! I will try disabling WPS and setting sae-pwe, wpa3 isn't interesting me right now and I feel like it would make the matter worse, but I can give it a shot as well.
5GHz barely covers the whole house while 2.4GHz is a safe bet, so I'd rather have it always connected to 2.4GHz. I might set an access list to kick it off 5GHz and see what happens.
I will use separate SSIDs and connect position-fixed devices with good signal to the 5GHz, and everything else to 2.4GHz for the stable connection. But I would prefer if there was a real solution to the problem.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:33 am

Do you require these TX power settings, especially on the 2.4GHz radio?

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Well, fair enough, 20dB should be enough, with 17dB I'd barely cover the basement. Is there a reason not to use 23dB if there's no other WiFi on the channel within 40-50 meters?

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:45 pm

Nothing seems to help, I will disable the WifiWave2 package and keep it if it works properly with it

spookymulder84
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Best hAP ac3 (WifiWave2) settings for highest compatibility  [SOLVED]

Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:55 pm

Kept the WifiWave2 package disabled since the last post, 0 issues, performance is also satisfying. I consider this solved, I'll be available if someone wants to troubleshoot with me, but either way I'm fine with this, might give it another shot myself many WifiWave2 bugfixes later to check out if it's solved.

Thank you guys!