Community discussions

MikroTik App

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

How do we request for an account deletion?

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:39 pm

The title says it. I'd like to have this forum account permanently deleted. No need for confirmation emails etc, this is the confirmation.

Thanks in advance to MikroTik staff who fulfills this request.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How do we request for an account deletion?

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:40 pm

What about all your posts that have helped somebody or have been involved in a discussion?
I see what caused your post. We will try to deal with that.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:44 pm

You can keep comments/posts. Just delete user profile account. My expertise is better spent in other platforms and forums.

Unfortunately MikroTik forum is infested with trolls. And I see many other members complaining about this over the years as well.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm

DarkNate,

Your expertise is needed. Look, you have to be willing to love & forgive people to participate in the forums. This is an international forum with people coming from all kinds of backgrounds, needs, and wants. It is not just a bunch of networking techs. Ultimately, everyone one of us benefits from MikroTik selling products. It helps us all. They are not Cisco.

Not everyone here is an ISP or corporate data center. So you have some home users, nerds, and many other types using the products. It helps us all for that to happen. I think MikroTik is an incredible deal and its made even better with people who have your expertise here. But you have to be willing to tolerate some misgivings. You don't have to win every argument. Let it go. All big forums have trolls. All popular products have problems. Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:05 pm

You want to make me look like a troll while he insults others?

For me it's already over here.
And it would be better if he deigns to get off the podium and help others without offending them who have no instruction.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:18 pm

You want to make me look like a troll while he insults others?

For me it's already over here.
And it would be better if he deigns to get off the podium and help others without offending them who have no instruction.
See why I want to exit this platform. This dude just can't stop replying/trolling to my comments/posts even if nobody mentioned him at all.

He's not alone, there are a few other trolls, but this one is the most persistent.

Dude's on a podium still thinking he's the moderator of this forum.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 pm

@DarkNate...
My name is not written on it but it is clear what he was referring to.
I see what caused your post.

But it doesn't seem to me that it should be just a moderator's job asking for respect from everyone in the forum...
Why are you continuing?
I already wrote to you that it's already over for me.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:06 pm

It would be good if we were more tolerant in this forum

make it a nice site to share our findings and experiences with routeros

countless times I have chosen not to post an answer, anticipating trolling or arrogant answers, is not worth it

I include myself, we have fallen into following a trend towards posts with little contribution beyond criticizing others

but I think we are in time to make the culture of this forum much friendlier

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:11 pm

@chechito 🤝

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:25 pm

MikroTik is broadening its user base. This is going to come from the non-corporate market. But I believe its going to be a good thing. The ivory tower brands have their place, but that's not MikroTik. I hope there is balance in the SKUs for the home user, small business, WISP, ISP, and maybe even some big environments. The new YouTube channel style is something you'd probably never see from you know who.

What this all this means is that there is going to be a very broad range of people in the forums asking a lot of crazy questions and bringing with them disparate ideas about how to do things. We can hit them with sledge hammers or pool noodles. Make friends or make enemies. Prove we are the smartest in the room or be here to learn & share.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:28 pm

What about all your posts that have helped somebody or have been involved in a discussion?
I see what caused your post. We will try to deal with that.
Some forums just disable and anonymize the user requesting account "deletion" (renaming it to something like AnonymousUser), preserving the posts.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:42 pm

It is better for all if the user stay.

First of all, a confirmation email should be needed, since someone could have stolen his account...

Speaking only from a technical point of view, all the other post where other user quote, keep the original author, and are stored as text inside post.

Code: Select all

[quote=DarkNate post_id=
If the user really wants to be deleted, just remove the sensitive data in his profile and the MikroTik staff change email and deactivate the user.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:37 pm

There are ways to help people see a point or understand specific advice without constantly calling to attention their lack of expertise in an area (this goes for anybody and everybody). There is also nothing wrong with conceding a point when valid counter-arguments or corrections are provided.

For the last 25 years of my career, we used Cisco for virtually everything--AiroNet-based WISP back in the late 90's to VMWare on UCS in the telco data center in the 2010's. Now, I'm on my own and have built a successful WISP with over a thousand MikroTik and Ubiquiti devices and love (well, love/hate) living on the bleeding edge with both companies. For me, the respective forums have become a daily place to check for news, software updates, bug reports, and, above all, helpful insights from other operators.

It is easy to join a new forum (or industry group, etc.) and see who is respected in the field, who the newbs are, who the tinkerers are, which of the employees people seem to glom around, and so on. And then there's the weight-throwers, the name-droppers, the "look at me I'm a big bad _______ (whatever the group/forum is) and you should do what I say or you're an idiot." Interaction with those guys (and gals) can be cringey, and they are often a turn-off to their fellow users. (Same goes for in-person interactions.)

As a former CIO/CTO, I've learned from both experience and in meetings over the years with other CIO/CTO's that "best practices" are just that--practice. What works best for one organization or a particular individual can be overkill for another, or even totally unnecessary, no matter how "industry-standard" it is. I abide by the KISS and "good enough" principles, depending on the needs of the situation.

Whoever it is, if someone is going to make sweeping recommendations in a public forum, they need to be prepared to back up those claims, and/or provide additional context, and not get frustrated when others don't always understand where they're coming from. Condescending speech or ad-hominem attacks when others seek clarification or provide an alternative point of view diminishes the value of the initial recommendation or assistance offered and discredits the individual providing the help, no matter how much experience he or she has. Eventually the requestor goes off and does their own thing, and chances are, they won't do what was recommended.

People and relationships matter more than content. Ultimately, they care more about how they are treated than they do about the answers or explanations.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm

Whoever it is, if someone is going to make sweeping recommendations in a public forum, they need to be prepared to back up those claims, and/or provide additional context, and not get frustrated when others don't always understand where they're coming from.
The original problem has absolutely nothing to do with content nor best practices and even less to do with networking, no one here is deleting accounts over a best practices debate. I assume you aren't aware of the context here of my history with rextended, the disgraced ex-mod of MikroTik forums, which shouldn't matter to you anyway.

Regardless, even if I was pushing for some good practices, I don't care about backing it up via stupid debates about some things that are plain obvious or easily explained away. There's something called computer science fundamentals, if those are crystal cleared from day 1, as a scientist or engineer, you can easily use deduction, abduction, and Induction to prove/disprove a claim:
https://www.physics.smu.edu/~pseudo/Induct/

I don't blindly believe anything, I always use reasoning methods based on certain philosophical school of thoughts and apply it to engineering. Empiricism is one of them.

There are smart people with brains and there are smart people with no brains. What do I mean?
Some people know HOW to do things. Some know WHY to do things. Majority aren't in the latter, that's not my duty to fix, visit a shrink for medical treatment.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:28 am

For the last 25 years of my career, we used Cisco for virtually everything--AiroNet-based WISP back in the late 90's to VMWare on UCS in the telco data center in the 2010's. Now, I'm on my own and have built a successful WISP with over a thousand MikroTik and Ubiquiti devices and love (well, love/hate) living on the bleeding edge with both companies. For me, the respective forums have become a daily place to check for news, software updates, bug reports, and, above all, helpful insights from other operators.

Really great to have you here, sirbryan.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:41 pm

And you too pcunite!!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:43 pm

And you too anav.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:45 pm

There are smart people with brains and there are smart people with no brains. What do I mean?
Some people know HOW to do things. Some know WHY to do things. Majority aren't in the latter, that's not my duty to fix, visit a shrink for medical treatment.
Luckily I am not so smart and thus can save my $$ for even more MT devices, instead of seeing a shrink. :-)
In fact, I am thinking of taking those savings and donating them to Mikrotik for.......................... ;-)...............................
A Zerotrust Cloudflare Options Package (for all users - because I care)

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:50 pm

I request the mods of this forum, to delete my account here. I have no use being here. I don't want to hear excuses or debate, delete this account or give me option in control panel to delete it myself.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:20 pm

FWIW, I'm of the opinion you're allowed to complain about Mikrotik. e.g. Your points on EVPN aren't wrong, that is a legit trend.

It when it cross personal attack targeting specific forum users or employees that cross a line in my book. e.g. "you're an idiot" vs "Mikrotik is dumb"... the former being problematic, but the later not so much...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 am

I am waiting for MT to actually fix cone nat or whatever the heck it is, so that DarkNate can be vindicated!! Would hate for him to miss that day.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:43 am

I am waiting for MT to actually fix cone nat or whatever the heck it is, so that DarkNate can be vindicated!! Would hate for him to miss that day.
I doubt it'll get fixed. They are more concerned about non-networking features like storage (?) than networking, but that's not the problem here.

No debates, no excuses, I'm still waiting to see delete option in the control panel or for the mods to delete this account directly. They hate/love me it seems, no one is yet to delete.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 am

Do not blame moderators as we can do nothing with your request ... it's only admins' field of jurisdiction.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:11 am

DarkNate, I know you had some conflicts with our volunteer moderators. Maybe you have not noticed, but we changed moderators recently, a lot of new and nice people.

I have no beef with you, so I have no reason to delete you. Only I can.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:16 am

The first time he made this request was because I was defending people on the forum who kept insulting...
But he hasn't lost his habit of insulting, as far as I can see...
[quote=DarkNate post_id=1013392 time=1689530102 user_id=166982]
[…]
You're one of those anal mods
[…]
[/quote]

From the administrators (not moderators) of the forum, instead of appreciating me (even if I have my faults),
I have become the scapegoat here on the forum.
Luckily this time someone didn't blame me on Reddit without me even knowing it...