Community discussions

MikroTik App

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

[FEATURE REQUEST] Direct access to ZeroTier local.conf

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:55 pm

It would be very useful and also future-proof if one could have directly access to the standard ZeroTier "local.conf" using the cli or files menu.

In this way, it would be possible to configure all current settings like for example trusted-path, multi-path and bonding profiles as well as possible future settings without having to add all bells and whistles to Winbox. It would also make deployment configuration easier.

Ref:

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Direct access to ZeroTier local.conf

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:48 pm

troffasky: Isn't it the case that 90% of the point of RouterOS and its management tools is to wrap all the underlying nonsense in a consistent management interface? If you want to twiddle with text files, install OpenWRT. The corollary of that is that every parameter has to be available so that you don't need to get up to your nuts in text files.

It is possible that you might have misunderstood my point as the intention was in no way to discredit the use of WinBox.

Rather, this will offer the ability to introduce new and complex configurations using the CLI without depending on the development pace of WinBox. As you've probably noticed by now, this is an already established way of working when it comes to new features in RoS just like Containers, ROSE and so forth.

However in general, just because you have access to a GUI doesn't make it more easy to configure ZeroTier, or any other feature for that matter, because you still have to understand the meaning of all the parameters just like with the rest of RoS.

troffasky

Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:12 pm

I didn't specifically mean Winbox here, I meant the ROS CLI as well. Adding a ROS router to RANCID so I get config diffs when somebody makes a change is invaluable.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:13 pm

I'm 100% for adding for path selection and bonding mode. And hoping they add it soon – the inability to control paths to nodes (white/blacklist) & bonding mode on VL1 does limit it's usefulness.

But exposing the native config file for anything in RouterOS – even if useful to me here – is not the right approach. It's also possible local.conf does NOT even exist...they could have compiled it directly to their config scheme to avoid text parsing ;)

In an ideal world, some of the path matchers from local.conf should be an RouterOS address-list or interface list – which be hard using ZeroTier's native conf.

Part of being able configure something is also being able to troubleshoot it. Since they already need a better view of the paths – they're lumped in with peers today, which make figuring out what paths are being used in operation difficult. Having some route selection/black/whitelist stuff doesn't seem that hard, and largely involves separating out the peers from the paths in CLI (and eventually winbox).

MahishTanzon
just joined

Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:21 am

I completely agree with you. Having direct access to the standard ZeroTier "local.conf" using the cli or files menu would not only make configuration easier but also give more flexibility in terms of customization. It would allow users to configure all current settings and possible future settings without having to rely on additional tools like Winbox. Additionally, this would also future-proof the configuration process, as any new settings added in the future could be easily accessed and configured through the same interface. I hope that the ZeroTier team takes your suggestion into consideration and implements it in their future updates.