Community discussions

MikroTik App

vanags
just joined
Topic Author

How to extend WiFi coverage with WiFiWave2 router?

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:51 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to extend my home WiFi coverage (two buildings, 50m between) without LAN cable using new hAPax3 ?
Existing router is Chateau 5G without WiFiWave2 and other is new hAP ax3 with WiFiWave2.
I tried with CAPsMAN, but without succes. Maybe is some other method, or I need to sell hAPax3 and buy some older model without WiFiWave2?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to extend WiFi coverage with WiFiWave2 router?

Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:47 pm

Capsman for 2 APs is asking for needless troubles (unless it is an educational project).

Problem with wifiwave2 is there is no more 4-address-mode (never again or for now ? Who knows...)
But station mode still exists so you can connect e.g. AX3 to Audience.
You will have to choose which radio to use.

Since those devices are indoor devices and you mention 50m in between, I will also assume there will be at least 2 walls in between.
Could be they will not see each other (or not enough) for a reliable link using 5GHz.
But 2.4Ghz might work although I have my doubts there as well (especially as far as reliability is concerned).

I would try using the 2.4Ghz link for the connection between both devices and then 5GHz radio for the "local" network.
Speed will be determined by 2.4GHz connection between both so don't expect wonders.

Ideally a real CAT5E or 6 cable would be so much more better.
In this case maybe even a set of powerline adapters if there is a power line connection (using same phase) between those 2 buildings.
(usually I am against that solution but if nothing else can be done, it's most of the times better then wireless)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:57 pm

Powerline between 2 building @ 50m of distance?.....................................

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:28 am

Why not ?
But as already said, I am against that solution. Only as last resort.

A true cable (or dedicated wireless devices which have as purpose to provide wireless link between remote buildings but I think that's not the direction we're going).