MikroTik App

imaljko4
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RB751u-2hnd not working on RouterOS v7

Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi,
RB751u-2hnd devises are not working after upgrading to v7.
Both devices are almost inaccessible after upgrade to v7, constant freeze and reboot, its even not possible to revert them (because of constant reboot) without netintsall.
I have also another device RB751g-2hnd and this model seems to work fine on new routerOS 7.

Any help with RB751u-2hnd is it normal that this device cant work on RouterOS v7 , or any suggestions how to fix this?

Thank you

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:18 pm

Jan 2012... Just 11 years ago...
Already a discontinued product on 2018...

Relevant example:
Try to install Windows 11 on AMD A4 with only 1G of RAM...
Or macOS Catalina on PowerPC...

mika2024
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:28 pm

Does discontinued product mean it should be immediately thrown to trash?
I have a few TP-link network devices running OpenWRT and Mikrotik RB751g which work just fine, so why wasting time and money to purchase and configure new products?

Relevant example:
Try to install Windows 11 on AMD A4 with only 1G of RAM...
I wouldn't compare Microsoft with MikroTik, Microsoft products are rarely resource optimized. And if you take competitors like Linux or FreeBSD, they run fine on old machines with 1GB (or even less) of RAM.

I have also another device RB751g-2hnd and this model seems to work fine on new routerOS 7.
Any help with RB751u-2hnd is it normal that this device cant work on RouterOS v7 , or any suggestions how to fix this?
The main difference between RB751u-2hnd and RB751g-2hnd is that the latter has 64GB of RAM and there is a clear statement on https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ding+to+v7 that running v7 on devices with less than 64GB is not recommended (albeit not forbidden). If I were you and really wanted to run v7 on RB751u-2hnd I would try upgrading the clean configuration with all unnecessary services disabled, and then gradually enabling other functionality while doing some load testing at the same time.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:47 pm

Does discontinued product mean it should be immediately thrown to trash?
No, it doesn't mean that. It rather means that producer will not go into much trouble to back port new OS to those old devices. Other vendors discontinue devices much faster (after they are announced) and even before discontinuation the support is usually far forse. So Mikrotik is doing great job in comparison.
But then, MT has to go forward with functionalities etc. and these days in IT world this means that newer versions require more resources, both RAM, CPU and disk storage. If old (discontinued) devices don't fulfill minimum requirements ... then it's possible to keep using them with older software or 3rd party software (it seems you're keen on dong that) or ... yes, throw them to trash if none of previously mentioned options work for you.

mika2024
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:46 pm

No, it doesn't mean that. It rather means that producer will not go into much trouble to back port new OS to those old devices. Other vendors discontinue devices much faster (after they are announced) and even before discontinuation the support is usually far forse. So Mikrotik is doing great job in comparison.
I didn't say Mikrotik is doing a bad job, I really like Mikrotik products and didn't like comparison with Microsoft :) What I tried to say is that "discontinued product" is not a fair argument addressed to a person who was just wondering why his device didn't successfully boot up after upgrade.

But then, MT has to go forward with functionalities etc. and these days in IT world this means that newer versions require more resources, both RAM, CPU and disk storage.
I totally agree with you that extending functionality in many cases can't be be done without sacrificing on resources, but I still believe that it's quite normal for customers to expect successful upgrade to v7 when the product page, despite marking the router as discontinued, offers to download routeros-7.13.1
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB751U-2Hn ... -downloads

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 am

What I tried to say is that "discontinued product" is not a fair argument addressed to a person who was just wondering why his device didn't successfully boot up after upgrade.
I'd say that this argument is a very good argument. Discontinued product, specially if a few years passed since it was discontinued, means that vendor won't do much testing (and even less support) of new software releases. So yes, if ROS v7 doesn't work properly on discontinued product, then the fact it's discontinued is a very good argument why v7 doesn't work on this particular product.

As to consequences: as I wrote, it's up to owner to decide, product doesn't have to be thrown in garbage, it's still usable (but not like a shiny new product).

I still believe that it's quite normal for customers to expect successful upgrade to v7 when the product page, despite marking the router as discontinued, offers to download routeros-7.13.1
That's your feelings about it. I say that MT went overboard by actually offering v7 for download for that device architecture and it's up to every user to assess whether they actually want to try to install it or not. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade their routers (it's not a legal requirement I believe ... legal requirement is to secure device not to allow any illegal activities and that can be done in many different ways in ROS).

The problem here is that RB751 is the same architecture (MIPSBE) as some still supported devices (such as RB951G which can run ROS v7 without any issues) and installer doesn't check against particular device type. So currently there's no way of preventing v7 from installing on e.g. RB751 but to allow it to install on RB951G.
And no, links on product page are not that relevant, not many users visit product page to fetch upgrade packages. Some will go directly to general mikrotik's download page (where packages are grouped by architecture) or they will go through in-device upgrade procedures.

Go figure.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:50 am

RB751U works with v7. This whole topic is a disinformation mess. Make sure you run latest 7.13 or 7.14 beta and make a RIF file if there is some rebooting going on. Maybe a config issue.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:05 am

@Normis,
no offense but how does this correlate with this message on ROS7 Help page ?
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ifications
Note: We do not recommend running v7 on hardware that does not have at least 64 MB of RAM.
Unless product page is incorrect, RB751u-2hnd only has 32Mb RAM whereas RB751g-2hnd as 64Mb ?
The latter should run fine given that info, the former ... maybe not.

I realise it says "not recommended" so it may or may not run and it will most likely be very dependent on the used config.
Correct ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:10 am

Only SMIPS devices "do not work", for others it simply means performance will be impacted. Not Recommended is not the same as Will not work

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:02 pm

its even not possible to revert them (because of constant reboot) without netintsall.
Is there an issue with NetInstall?

That is where I would start.. NetInstall v7, start fresh.. Major OS upgrades do not always go as planned, on any system.