Community discussions

MikroTik App

sultanbrunei
Topic Author

iOs 16 constantly dropping from hotspot

Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:45 am

Hello everyone,

I am using a Mikrotik router and TP-link mesh wifi as wifi hotspot transmitter.
Does anyone have issues with wifi constantly dropping almost each time your apple device (iOs 16) goes to standby?
This has happened since I updated my iPhone & iPad to the very first version of ios 16. I have an old iPad, android, and other devices with iOs 15 and there is no such issue.

I have tried to change some settings regarding hotspot in server profiles, such as disabling and enabling cookie, mac cookie. However this only gives different behaviour to the general connection dropping. Sometime when the apple devices goes back from standby, the wifi sign is still there, however there is no internet connection at all, I have to disconnect and then reconnect re-login, and then internet works. Some other times (mostly), wifi sign is dropped, I have to go to settings, click at my wifi, and captive portal appears, there it goes I have to re-login and get the internet back. This has happened for months.

Now that I know talking to apple feedback forum would not help me. Does anyone in here knows anything about this?
What kind of problem is iOs 16 having with Mikrotik hotspot system and How do I fix this?
Last edited by sultanbrunei on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flo
just joined

Re: iOs 16 constantly dropping from hotspot

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:39 am

Hy, just deactivate the "privat MAC" option under iOS.
Go to your wireless settings, right beside the Hotspot SSID is an blue "i" click on it and than deactivate "private WLAN Adress"
That should solve your problem.

sultanbrunei
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:32 am

Hy, just deactivate the "privat MAC" option under iOS.
Go to your wireless settings, right beside the Hotspot SSID is an blue "i" click on it and than deactivate "private WLAN Adress"
That should solve your problem.
Have you personally tried that and was able to overcome the wifi dropping issue?
I have tried disabling private wifi address before multiple times. Forget network, re-connect. And the same random dropping issue still persists.

The only way for me now to solve the issue is by going to winbox, hotspot settings, and then put a bypass in IP bindings.
However, this method would render the hotspot login useless.

johnson73
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:49 am

I am using mikrotik wifi with iOs16.4 version. No problem, everything works fine even with previous versions. I don't use "Capman" mode, APs are connected to "bridge" mode.
Maybe the fault is in your configuration?

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:35 am

Guys I have a problem with 2 Ipads 9 (16.6) against AC2 in AP mode (standalone=GW). Tablets disconnect up to 10min from 2.4 or 5GHz wifi if they have display turned off. It seems tablets disabled own wifi for power save.
AC2 has latest ROS, it is in standard setting...wpa2, etsi channel, 20/40MHz Ce (or eC)....
Android devices have no problems.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:45 am

all phones have power saving options and go to sleep if display is off.
yes, wifi also disconnects. what did you expect?

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:00 am

I have a few old iPhones running iOS 16, if battery was 100%, and I leave it unplugged and screen turned off, no apps running, I've seen uptime upto 8 hours on MikroTik AP's registration table.

Never seen them dropping the Wi-Fi during deep sleep, unless power/battery is very low.

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:32 am

Normis I like you and MT but that`s not true...android phones don`t disconnect from the AP if display is off. How can we got msgs from Viber, Whatsapp, Messnger...etc during the all day?
My phone has over 1h uptime in my AP (Ax2) now and his display is black most of the time.

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 am

Normis I like you and MT but that`s not true...android phones don`t disconnect from the AP if display is off. How can we got msgs from Viber, Whatsapp, Messnger...etc during the all day?
My phone has over 1h uptime in my AP (Ax2) now and his display is black most of the time.
99% of modern day Android OS/iOS devices don't disconnect, i.e. if you check registration table on the AP, they remain connected, even during deep-sleep mode on Android devices with root.

What they do is throttle the performance profile of the wireless chip and rate-limit certain traffic on layer 3, example you cannot ping (ICMP) an iPhone that's in sleeping state, but you can send a text over IP such as WhatsApp or iMessage and it'll get delivered in few seconds. Polling runs every few seconds.

While I don't have beef with normis personally, I agree that he is in the wrong here.

Kanzler

Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:46 am

IPhone XS, no disconnect if display off

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:21 am

Customers said me that they had no problem befaore AP change (old AP was some TP-Link, new one is MT Ac2) but I think this is not problem with AP (or MT or ROS) this is only coincidence.
Maybe their Ipads updgraded IOS the same time and problems start.
I`ve sold hundreds MTs (mostly Ac2s last 2 years) and I never had negative feedback like this issue.

sorpisey
just joined

Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:49 am

iPhone and iPad.. always problem with hotspot of mikrotik router. relogin many time .....but and droid is stable

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:07 pm

I had to change AC2 for TP-Link Archer C6 today and Ipads stopped disconnecting immedaiately..
What`s the difference approaching betweeen MT and TP-Link in Wifi protocol?

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:05 pm

Don't have such problems, even MacBook Pro is connected on closed lid in backpack and responding to ping with very high latency probably due to rate limit on standby :)
ss_mac_wifi.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andresl11111
just joined

Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 pm

Just for documenting, had the same issue. When unlocking iPhone screen, I saw a message of no data connection. Never happened in any other wifi. However, it did reconnect in a second or two, but still annoying.
Disabling the private network thing mentioned before and no more disconnecting.
Would be happy to learn a way to configure it on router side and not on each device separately.
iOS 17.1.2, RouterOS 7.13.1 (hap ax2).

Fozi
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:42 pm

Also had the same issue with iPhones/iPads after I replaced the access point with a HAP ax2. As soon as the devices went in to standby after not being used for a minute or two they would disconnect, this being monitored on the wireless registrations page of Webfig.
The problem was that I had added an access point to devices (iphones/ipads) that were already configured for the previous access point using the same AP name and WIFI passwords.
So, on the Apple devices I went into the wireless profile, hit the “Forget This Network button” , turned WiFi off then back on again and the added the device back to the access point.
My devices have now been up for many hours now, so seems like my issue is solved.
Hope this may help anyone suffering a similar issue.

Fozi

kaky
just joined

Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 pm

I had the same problem with both iPhone and iPad devices. Changing DHCP server lease time from the default 10 min to 24 hour solved the disconnect issue for me.
It seems iOS devices drops wifi connection when DHCP lease expires at locked screen.
Last edited by kaky on Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Faizi
just joined

Connection lost after 10 or more times

Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am

We have configured our Mikrotik router as a hotspot, connected through Cisco switches, and then connected from the switch to Cisco APs, the problem is just that when connected to the PC through the wireless after 10 minutes or less not work wireless but working Android no problem just the problem is PCs maybe the issue is NAT or filter rules