Community discussions

MikroTik App

starbuck
just joined
Topic Author

RBLHGGR preferred CPU Frequency & RouterOS 6 or 7?

Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:47 am

I've got an RBLHGGR that is working just fine on the lastest stable release of RouterOS 6. I just noticed that my CPU is running at 1000mhz. I don't recall setting it that way and I'm wondering if I should just leave it or if I should set it back down to 800mhz? I'm also wondering if there is any reason I should consider going to RouterOS 7. I'm perfectly happy with the unit as it is now and I don't need wireguard or any other features. However, I do wonder if performance is better or worse on RouterOS 7 for this device or if I'm missing out on any sort of CVE or security patches by remaining on 6.49.7

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBLHGGR preferred CPU Frequency & RouterOS 6 or 7?  [SOLVED]

Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:29 pm

Does your device take frequency setting of "auto"? If it does, this is the new default on all devices supporting it. If not, I'd go to official frequency setting (which is 800MHz).

Regarding upgrading to v7: v7 comes with newer linux kernel, which has some architectural changes with regard to routing, and those mean liwer routing capacity. Also beware that v7 can use slightly more flash than v6, and 16MB is a tight fit. If you're not missing any of v7 features, then there's no reason for you to upgrade to v7, you better stay on v6, AFAIK it's safe (for now).

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBLHGGR preferred CPU Frequency & RouterOS 6 or 7?

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info about ROSv7 mkx. So for now I will keep safe. ;)

Regards.

starbuck
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:55 am

Does your device take frequency setting of "auto"? If it does, this is the new default on all devices supporting it. If not, I'd go to official frequency setting (which is 800MHz).

Regarding upgrading to v7: v7 comes with newer linux kernel, which has some architectural changes with regard to routing, and those mean liwer routing capacity. Also beware that v7 can use slightly more flash than v6, and 16MB is a tight fit. If you're not missing any of v7 features, then there's no reason for you to upgrade to v7, you better stay on v6, AFAIK it's safe (for now).
No Auto setting so I've moved it back to 800mhz. Decided to give RouterOS7 a shot and the upgrade was uneventful and everything seems to be working fine.

The only thing I have noticed is that on somedays my signal quality will get pretty awful with SINR dropping to 0 db when it normal is in the 16-23db range. Rebooting the RBLHGGR seems to fix the issue

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:11 am

With the LTE devices, it's even more important the all the firmware/OS/modem match. If you went to V7, make sure you update the firmware ( /system/routerboard/upgrade ) and modem ( /interface/lte/firmware-upgrade [find] upgrade=yes ) too.

starbuck
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:32 am

Yeah I did that already as part of the ROS7 upgrade.