Community discussions

MikroTik App

schamock
just joined
Topic Author

Switch does not respond after power outage

Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:15 pm

Hi everyone,
lately I had a power outage at home and after the power was up again I had a problem with my CSS610-8G-2S+ switch.
The switch worked perfectly again after the event but a few days later I noticed, that the switch itself wasn't accessible anymore (no access to webGUI -> timeout; no output via SNMP anymore -> also timeout).
I'm absolutely sure that this behavior started with the power outage because I have a script running, that collects SNMP data from all my Mirkrotik devices. After the event it wasn't able to receive anymore data from the CSS610.
The only way to regain access to the config webGUI was to do a complete reset of the switch :(
This raises two questions:
* What could have caused this situation? I don't really understand, that the switch worked perfectly fine, but was not reachable
* How could I prevent this in the future? Even an UPS wouldn't have helped my me here because there is no way to explicitly power the switch down (and: this really shouldn't be necessary...)

Sidenote: My RouterOS devices didn't have any issues coming backup again.

Thanks

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Switch does not respond after power outage

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:08 pm

First guess on what happened is that the switch ended up with a different IP address. Is the switch setup with a static IP or is it DHCP? If DHCP, check your DHCP server to see what IP the switch was assigned.

You are right that you should not need to do a "shutdown", so a power failure should not cause any issues. I have seven SwitchOS devices and have never had an issue with them not restoring after a power outage. All of mine are set to static IP addresses.