Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rox169
Topic Author

OSFP help

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:33 am

Hello,

Im trying to set up OSFP in network below. Could you please help me understand what is backbone, stub, etc?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: OSFP help

Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:31 am

What have you read about ospf?

It is a big subject. For the size of network you have you will only need one area. If you ever have more than one area one of them will have to be area 0.0.0.0, the "backbone area". If you have only a single area it does not have to be area 0.0.0.0, but most examples will start with the first area being area 0.0.0.0. All areas that communicate with other areas must have a connection to area zero (although it does not have to be a physical link, it can be a virtual link via another area).

What benefit do you anticipate from using ospf? This is similar to asking someone what advantage they see in using vlans. It isn't a statement that ospf can't be useful, or that vlans are not useful, but if you can't explain why you want them, then you probably don't need them.

OSPF MikroTik documentation

OSPF From Zero to Hero - Mikrotik RouterOS v7 Wilmer Almazan - The Network Trip

MikroTik MTCRE - OSPF (An Introduction to a GIANT of a protocol!) by The Network Berg

Cisco − OSPF Design Guide

OSPF Training Course – Module 1 Ed Harmoush

RFC 2328 OSPF Version 2 April 1998 John Moy
Last edited by Buckeye on Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rox169
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:23 am

I have wireguard and Zerotier together and it does mess. I would like to configure, routes thorough wireguard and when is wireguard not accptable to use Zerotier as backup

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:20 pm

I have wireguard and Zerotier together and it does mess. I would like to configure, routes thorough wireguard and when is wireguard not accptable to use Zerotier as backup
I am not sure what you mean by "it does mess". When would wireguard not be acceptable, but ZeroTier would be? And why would it change?

Watch at least the first video What is Routing, Dynamic Routing Protocols and OSPF?? from The Network Trip.
Last edited by Buckeye on Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rox169
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:54 pm

I will check the video, but could you please simply say what should be on AX2, first AC3 and second AC3 set up?

Im not sure if it is possible but when I download from 192.168.1.1. movie I see doubled traffic. Interface shows that one traffic goes thorougs wireguard and the same traffic goes thorough zerotier.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 pm

duplicate post.
Last edited by Buckeye on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:55 pm

I will answer your question with as much specificity as the question.
I will check the video, but could you please simply say what should be on AX2, first AC3 and second AC3 set up?
A valid working configuration that does what you intend it to do.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:40 am

Buckeye awarded best post of the day! :-)
You learn well apprentice!!

Rox169
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:43 am

is it so difficult to write in few sentences what should be done? Just to kick me the right direction :)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:56 am

is it so difficult to write in few sentences what should be done? Just to kick me the right direction :)
Is it so difficult to write in a few sentences what you are trying to do and why ?
Maybe then you can receive your needed guidance ...

Drop the focus on how. Describe why and what. Maybe OSPF is not what you need ?

Also, and that's what others are hinting at, if you have no idea about the basics of OSPF (I don't know the details either but I have a broad idea high-level), don't expect others to give you a cookie-cutter solution based on ... nothing ?
Do your homework first there too.
Example: from the top part of your picture I see wireguard and zerotier. Where ? Whereto ? How ? Why ?
It's not clear at all.

From my point of view: I have no clue what you are trying to do with an internal network, OSPF, Wireguard and Zerotier...

Rox169
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:46 pm

holvoetn thank you for answer.

Those three routers are conected thorough internet with wireguard and zerotier at one time. Thats why I want to set up OSFP.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:47 pm

All three have reachable public IPs?? or can have an ISP router port forward to the router??

If so each router requires two wireguard connections and thus two interfaces aka to the other two routers. Each router will have a common pair.
Each router should have a third separate WG connection so that you can remote in, to each router.
Each peer is set at 0.0.0.0/0

The rest is OSPF work. so use the video links provided.

Rox169
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:08 pm

Thank you, but I have only one public IP on the HAP AX2. Wireguard and Zerotier are already working fine between all three routers( AX2,AC3,AC3) I need only kick with the OSFP.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:32 pm

@Rox169, provided all devices are connected to your local network (192.168.1-4) than neither ZeroTier nor Wireguard are needed which only brings unnecessary complexity and overhead.

You should be able to solve it just using standard routing. If possible, you might also remove 192.168.2 and only use 192.168.3 (provided you have no special reason for keeping it)

I do encourage to learn new stuff like OSPF but this could be tested in a separate network test lab environment with GNS3 or EVE-NG using a virtual machine before you deploy it.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:37 pm

holvoetn thank you for answer.

Those three routers are conected thorough internet with wireguard and zerotier at one time. Thats why I want to set up OSFP.
Wrong answer. You still do not specify why. You answer HOW you think it should be solved.

And I see Larsa gets the point too.
You are making things needlessly complex.
Really.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:02 pm

Yes this request is a joke, no need for OSPF just basic WG. Zerotier is even better in terms of sharing at L2 and no need for any device to have public IP.

Rox169
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:27 pm

Guys it is not as simple as you think.. Those routers are on three locations. Approx. 60 km away from each other. I live where is AX2 where a have the only one public address.

Firstly I used zerotier between those routers, but I bought public address and I set up wireguard. Problem is when is AX2 I can not connect to any AC3. Because AX2 is endpoint. When is AX2 down I use zerotier as backup VPN.

U use zerotier management so zerotier is creating routes. Where I can not change distance. It I set to 1. Wireguard has also distance 1 and it makes trouble.

I'm not sure if is possible but when I play movie on AC3 and download data from AX2 I see doubled traffic. Same traffic is on zerotier and od wireguard. Is it even possible?
I have to keep subnet 192.168.2.0 because it is another house where I want have different subnet than 192 168.3.0 in parents house.
Last edited by Rox169 on Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Just a suggestion and a practical hands-on guidance:

Provided all are Mikrotik devices:
1. Backup the configuration of all units using both the export and regular backup features.
2. Remove all configurations such as OSPF, WireGuard, ZeroTier, etc. Alternatively, perform a factory reset on all devices and set up only the subnets and firewall on the "public" router.
3. Add a gateway on the devices for subnet 3 and 4 like this: "/ip/route/add gateway=192.168.1.1". Routing for other subnets will be added automatically provided you added the correct ip address and networks settings.
4.Once everything is working, you can start adding either (or both) WireGuard and ZeroTier on the "public" router to access your LAN from the outside. If you want both, add just one att the time and make sure it works before adding the other one.
5. Now you can start playing around with for example redundancy and add an alternative route to the default gatway for subnet 3 and 4 in case a link drops.
6. These are some of the basic steps you can start with. I've probably forgotten some things, but I'm sure others will quickly point that out to help you out further on.

Rox169
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:10 pm

sorry but everything is working, only wireguard and zerotier has issue probably becase same distance in IP/routes and thas why I wanted OSFP and you are asking o wipe everything start from scratch and trawek many km away :)

Is this OK?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:59 pm

You happened to mention the very important fact that all the routers were 60 km apart in the same time as I was writing my answer! It should have been included as a very important detail in your first post. Next time you ask something, make sure to provide a complete network topology that includes ALL the DETAILS including hw models etc, otherwise it's hard to understand your objective.

Besides that, just use ZeroTier (easiest), OR Wireguard or possibly IPsec for better performance provided AES hardware offload is supported + OSPF (all pretty complicated if you lack experience). If this is for a customer installation, I suggest you hire a consultant. It's up to you.

God luck!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 pm

God luck!
jajaja didnt you mean Santa luck!! ;-)