Community discussions

MikroTik App

uzunix
just joined
Topic Author

LTE - Somewhat controversial technical solution

Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:23 pm

Hello everyone!
With this post I am looking for someone to share a experience in what I am about to describe.
So a friend of mine wants to do something rather controversial, but nevertheless interesting.

The are two villages, lets name them A and B. They are 10 km apart in a field, so they have clear line of sight. My friend want to use a internet from a cellular ISP by LTE network, but the provider in question can provide the service in village B. My friend lives in village A, where the provider has coverage, but not LTE. So the ISP in question has tower in both villages, but provides the LTE network only in village B. So my friend came to me asking if its possible to use something like LHG R or LHG LTE kit to make a LTE wireless link of some sort, in order to use the service in the village where he lives. Now I have some experience with such devices, but not in scenario like that one, so in my mind right away appeared two questions:
- will the MikroTik device even lock on the correct cell tower despite the clear line of sight (possibly clear)..? By correct I mean that the same cellular provider has local tower in his village, but on slower network (i.e. not LTE).
- If the MikroTik device locks on the correct tower, will he be able to achieve 100 Mbit/s (this is the speed provided by the carrier) ..?

So please if someone has experience in such a scenario - please share it.
Thanks.

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: LTE - Somewhat controversial technical solution

Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm

I think this could be achiavable but not completly sure about the speed. Please see the attached videos for options. Maybe you can lock the device to one base station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRD0rzAiGxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9yyW2IqRs

Another option is a WiFi connection with two directional antennas between villages if there is an option for that.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE - Somewhat controversial technical solution

Thu May 11, 2023 10:35 pm

- will the MikroTik device even lock on the correct cell tower despite the clear line of sight (possibly clear)..? By correct I mean that the same cellular provider has local tower in his village, but on slower network (i.e. not LTE).
If LTE signal from other vilage is good enough, then yes. Most (if not all) broadband modems prioritize technology which provides best user experience. If modem doesn't select lte, there's always possibility of cell lock on modem.

- If the MikroTik device locks on the correct tower, will he be able to achieve 100 Mbit/s (this is the speed provided by the carrier) ..?
Quite probably not.
10 km is pretty far for cells operating on higher frequencies, which usually provide better throughput. 10 km is OK for cells operating on lower frequencies, but those tend to have lower capacity.

And don't forget, cell capacity in LTE is up to around 200Mbps (more in case there's working CA but it needs good signal from cells operating on higher frequencies), achievable only when users are in excellent radio conditions (10 km away they're not). Many users compete for that capacity.