Community discussions

MikroTik App

Matthiastik
Topic Author

VOIPregistration fails after ISP change

Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:58 pm

Good Morning,

Wish to know what way to look for solutions,

1 have an RB4011 updated, have 2 lans 1 for VOIP phone(192.168.100.0/23) on 1 port and PC LAN on another port(192.168.0.0/24) and recursive WAN failover that works and other wan os needed always for certain data trafic so trafic routing says main table for wan1 and 2 and wan2 for 3rd rule 0.0.0.0/0 to Gateway for ISP2 with routing rule for certain trafic that will not work on ISP1 at all).

My question is where to look becasue when ISP1 fails and ISP2 kicks in the computers works as nothing changed except for less internet naturally but the VOIP no registring in my case but changes to ISP2 until i restart the Cisco Switch for the phoners(POE Switch catalyst still used and EOS was announced) and works as normal but random phones fails to register after some hours and VOIP provider tells me that ping latency of high 80 can be the issue to no remain online and SIP ALG disabled do not make any differance

Connected the VOIP phones to the DSL modem directly and no problems at all even with latency in the high 80s but if it fails when there is an WAN failover naturally so i am sure somerhing is wrong in my mikrotik but most of the time work flawlessly untill ISP fail and it do happens a lot and poweroutage is another headache ..

tried with manuly remove all connections of the VOIP phone in mikritk ip->firewall->connections but will no registrer untill i restart the switch (can see VOIP trafic out ISP2 when failing over
but see only trafic in 1 direction and no receiving of data except for 1 VOIP phone that have trafic in both directions) unless i need to wait a long period of time longer than 2 minutes gets me nervous.

when VOIP phone fails 1 connect to that cisco phone SPA525 issuing an ping to VOIP server in the cloude and i do get back ping and tracerouter looks like expected but ping times in the high 80s and sometimes reaches low 140s.

I know there is a bunch of people having this issue but do not see a working solution and just work arounds it seems.

Thank you

jspool

Re: VOIPregistration fails after ISP change

Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 am

Do you have a script to clear the UDP connections when the ISP change occurs?
/ip firewall connection remove [/ip firewall connection find protocol=udp]

Hadvaid
just joined

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 am

Good Morning,

Wish to know what way to look for solutions,

1 have an RB4011 updated, have 2 lans 1 for VOIP phone(192.168.100.0/23) on 1 port and PC LAN on another port(192.168.0.0/24) and recursive WAN failover that works and other wan os needed always for certain data trafic so trafic routing says main table for wan1 and 2 and wan2 for 3rd rule 0.0.0.0/0 to Gateway for ISP2 with routing rule for certain trafic that will not work on ISP1 at all).

My question is where to look becasue when ISP1 fails and ISP2 kicks in the computers works as nothing changed except for less internet naturally but the VOIP no registring in my case but changes to ISP2 until i restart the Cisco Switch for the phoners(POE Switch catalyst still used and EOS was announced) and works as normal but random phones fails to register after some hours and VOIP provider tells me that ping latency of high 80 can be the issue to no remain online and SIP ALG disabled do not make any differance

Connected the VOIP phones to the DSL modem directly and no problems at all even with latency in the high 80s but if it fails when there is an WAN failover naturally so i am sure somerhing is wrong in my mikrotik but most of the time work flawlessly untill ISP fail and it do happens a lot and poweroutage is another headache ..

tried with manuly remove all connections of the VOIP phone in mikritk ip->firewall->connections but will no registrer untill i restart the switch (can see VOIP trafic out ISP2 bitlife when failing over
but see only trafic in 1 direction and no receiving of data except for 1 VOIP phone that have trafic in both directions) unless i need to wait a long period of time longer than 2 minutes gets me nervous.

when VOIP phone fails 1 connect to that cisco phone SPA525 issuing an ping to VOIP server in the cloude and i do get back ping and tracerouter looks like expected but ping times in the high 80s and sometimes reaches low 140s.

I know there is a bunch of people having this issue but do not see a working solution and just work arounds it seems.

Thank you
One possible solution to this issue could be to adjust the routing configuration on your Mikrotik router. You could try setting up a policy-based routing rule that directs all VOIP traffic through ISP2 instead of relying on the WAN failover. This would ensure that the VOIP phones always have a stable connection to the VOIP server.

Matthiastik
Topic Author

Re: VOIPregistration fails after ISP change  [SOLVED]

Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:17 pm

Thank you for your Respnse,

No, will try adding it to Netwatch but usure how to monitor my DNS used for recurisve failover with Netwatch since
the ping keep going even if ui terminate 1 connection becaue of my routing rules and always 1 internet in fuction and the other rule
with rule main as ISP1 and ISP2 and setting to check for the gateway for each ISP and hope that will work, let me make the apropiate changes
and see if this reslove my issue.

Thank you for your input , saw an similar option before but for SIP but dod not work for me but will try.

Thank you

Matthiastik
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:21 am

Thank you for your Respnse,

No, will try adding it to Netwatch but usure how to monitor my DNS used for recurisve failover with Netwatch since
the ping keep going even if ui terminate 1 connection becaue of my routing rules and always 1 internet in fuction and the other rule
with rule main as ISP1 and ISP2 and setting to check for the gateway for each ISP and hope that will work, let me make the apropiate changes
and see if this reslove my issue.

Thank you for your input , saw an similar option before but for SIP but dod not work for me but will try.

Thank you
I think this is an importent part to have as a script running and terminating connections becasue the VoIP using ISP1 only will fail sonner
or later so 1 need a way to keep them online and clean out old connections and this seems to work but wierdly 1 of 10 phones never gets
online until i reconnect the fail ISP or restart the PoE switch that seems wierd but the rest come back to life so i blame the old switch but could be as the other
helpet mentioned, set a route out that ISP that i do today but need failover becasue that happens often and power outtage is another headache.

Thank you very much for the help hope this issue is reolved and i am working still making test with ISP for VoIP failing and seems to work good.

thank you all ...
if my router changes ISP