Community discussions

MikroTik App

Techsystem
Topic Author

Bridge interface in OSPF

Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:06 am

Hello My friends..!
so what it is mean to create an empty Bridge interface in Mikrotik Router..?
i mean when we set OSPF we use the Empty Bridge interface IP to define the Router ID to keep the OSPF up and running, ok .. but what its mean to create such empty interface
in mikrotik router..? what is the effect on the router itself..? lets forexample suppose that i create 1000 Bridge in the router, does that make scense..?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Bridge interface in OSPF

Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:35 am

but what its mean to create such empty interface
in mikrotik router..? what is the effect on the router itself..? lets forexample suppose that i create 1000 Bridge in the router, does that make scense..?
It just creates a virtual interface that isn't tied to any port. And it is an interface that will always be up (unless you disable it). So unlike an ethernet port, where the interface will go "down" when link is lost, the loopback interface will always be "up" unless you use an administrative command to cause it to go down. So once you add an address to the interface there will be a connected route automatically created. That ip address can now be pinged, and that route will stay there until you disable or delete the interface, unlike a connected route on an ethernet interface that goes down.

This takes memory, and will create connected routes when you add an ip address to the created interface, but other than that it requires few resources. See The Network Berg's scripting video for an example where he creates 1000 vlans. you could do the same creating bridge devices. But I can't think of any real useful uses for 1000 bridge interfaces.

I assume you were watching The Network Trips OSPF series? e.g. here.

Techsystem
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:29 pm

but what its mean to create such empty interface
It just creates a virtual interface that isn't tied to any port. And it is an interface that will always be up (unless you disable it). So unlike an ethernet port, where the interface will go "down" when link is lost, the loopback interface will always be "up" unless you use an administrative command to cause it to go down. So once you add an address to the interface there will be a connected route automatically created. That ip address can now be pinged, and that route will stay there until you disable or delete the interface, unlike a connected route on an ethernet interface that goes down.

This takes memory, and will create connected routes when you add an ip address to the created interface, but other than that it requires few resources. See The Network Berg's scripting video for an example where he creates 1000 vlans. you could do the same creating bridge devices. But I can't think of any real useful uses for 1000 bridge interfaces.

I assume you were watching The Network Trips OSPF series? e.g. here.
I assume you were watching The Network Trips OSPF series?
lol how did you know..!!?? yes exactly.
well very thanksful i think that's the missing point in my narrow knowledge in OSPF ""So once you add an address to the interface there will be a connected route automatically created

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:46 pm

The wording "Empty Bridge interface" is exactly what Wilmer called it. And I had just watched that within the last week.

BTW, that is a good series in my opinion. There are some assumptions, i.e. that you understand networking fundamentals and how routing works (connected routes, how routes are selected, etc.). But the course (at least the first two I watched) are well organized, and he uses good practice (like the use of loopback interfaces). And his example shows the two most common types of links, and has 4 routers, so you get enough repetition to let the process sink in.

Here's another OSPF resource MikroTik MTCRE - OSPF (An Introduction to a GIANT of a protocol!) by The Network Berg. When learning a new subject, watching several different presenters is a good thing as they will each probably cover some different things. Always verify what is said on a youtube video or some post you see. The Network Trip and The Network Berg are both good sources in general, and the Network Berg has some good information on all the requirements to getting an adjacency to come up. At this point he discusses creating a loopback interface (which he names lo0), and why it is a good idea (the interface never goes down).

Techsystem
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:00 am

The wording "Empty Bridge interface" is exactly what Wilmer called it. And I had just watched that within the last week.

BTW, that is a good series in my opinion. There are some assumptions, i.e. that you understand networking fundamentals and how routing works (connected routes, how routes are selected, etc.). But the course (at least the first two I watched) are well organized, and he uses good practice (like the use of loopback interfaces). And his example shows the two most common types of links, and has 4 routers, so you get enough repetition to let the process sink in.

Here's another OSPF resource MikroTik MTCRE - OSPF (An Introduction to a GIANT of a protocol!) by The Network Berg. When learning a new subject, watching several different presenters is a good thing as they will each probably cover some different things. Always verify what is said on a youtube video or some post you see. The Network Trip and The Network Berg are both good sources in general, and the Network Berg has some good information on all the requirements to getting an adjacency to come up. At this point he discusses creating a loopback interface (which he names lo0), and why it is a good idea (the interface never goes down).
yes i agree ..! so far Mr.Wilmer is a very professional person..! i know his channels https://www.youtube.com/@WilmerAlmazan also https://www.youtube.com/@TheNetworkTrip/aboutfrom a couple of years and i always keep attention to every single word that he say, because i know its priceless.
also i know the Berg..! very nice and gentle man, his explanation like crystal..! really appreciate every one out there that make sense in his life, also you will remeber me if you watch those professional indonesian guys, very informative content and you can translate to English https://www.youtube.com/@MikrotikIndone ... aweb/about