Community discussions

MikroTik App

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

how much 60 Ghz devices are resistant to jamming?

Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:27 pm

I'm thinking to add some security camera outside of an house but using wired connections will be hard. So I am looking to put some PtP devices to pass the network in some zones. But I'm worried the signal could be jammed. I'm new in such area so Are 6O Ghz devices lke the wireless wire (https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_w ... ifications) more resistant than usual wifi APS to such attack?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: how much 60 Ghz devices are resistant to jamming?

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:38 pm

i think you need a product way beyond consumer

maybe military equipment or something like that

if that is not your case, then off course any civil wireless equipment is vulnerable to jamming so this too

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:46 pm

Is "Laser FSO Wireless Links" an option ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:20 pm

Per FCC requirement, Part 15, this device must accept any interference, even interference that may cause unwanted operation...

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:07 am

i think you need a product way beyond consumer

maybe military equipment or something like that

if that is not your case, then off course any civil wireless equipment is vulnerable to jamming so this too
ok i see... i wonder what they use in city for their wireless camera network

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:53 am

For natural reasons, wireless communication cannot be completely protected from interference thus it's a matter of cost what type of redundancy that can be achieved. As a suggestion to achieve some kind of redundancy with a reasonably healthy budget, you might use different combinations of eg PTP 60Ghz, PTP WiFi and LTE/5G.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:05 pm

Well, it can be jammed, like any other radio link... there is simply no protection against this type of attack, given you use enough power. That said 60GHz is far harder to jam than any lower bands as hardware to find out the frequency and generate the jamming signal is rather expensive (besides using another 60GHz radio, but that will not drop the link completely). It's certainly far more secure than using any dedicated microwave links on lower bands (2-24GHz) and especially lower ISM bands (2.4/5.8 GHz) where jamming is super easy (really powerful video TX for use on drones is $10 on Aliexpress + dish = massive EIRP).
As "unhackability" goes, I'd say #1 would be laser link, #2 80+GHz leased microwave and #3 60GHz Mikrotik... so not bad at all given the price if you compare it to the other options.
Using LTE/5G might be also an option as it's rather secure, just compare monthly costs of suitable data plan vs. cost of the radio link.