Community discussions

MikroTik App

luisrs01
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik password expires

Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:55 pm

mikrotik password expires
For a few weeks the RouterOS of a CCR2116 has been left without a password since the password expires leaving the device without a password.
I have tried to solve the problem by changing passwords and others but it continues to expire automatically after a couple of weeks, sometimes it happens in just days

What could be happening?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik password expires

Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Please tell us exactly what you are seeing. As far as I can tell from poking in WinBox and reading the help pages, passwords don't expire unless you explicitly expire them.

Note with the above said, when a router is factory reset, the first login with admin / <blank> will show that the password is expired and require changing it. Did that on an old RB750r2 last night...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:34 pm

My guess is they did not "expire", but somebody used the unprotected router and logged in :D and changed password

luisrs01
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2023 3:56 pm

Hello.
CCR2116 expired on its own today.

The last time we used a completely different password from the previous ones, so it is not that someone entered and there changed the password. It has simply expired and to enter it you only need the login username and blank password
When entering, it appears that the password has expired and I must enter a new password where the old one is not required because if I enter it, it tells me that it is not valid and I must leave it blank and only enter the new one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sebastian90000
just joined

Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:42 pm

Were you able to find a solution? I have a CCR1009 that, lately, from time to time, goes into a reboot loop and requires Netinstall to get back up and running. But after being in operation for a few days, the access passwords are eliminated, exactly as you describe.

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:42 pm

It has simply expired and to enter it you only need the login username and blank password
If I understand you correctly you are saying that after a while the password has been reset to blank? so no password is required to log in? (which will cause the popup box to reset the password)
You then set a password, but again after a while it resets itself to blank?

You should send supout to support@mikrotik.com

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:21 pm

Passwords do not expire on their own. This is misleading.

This message can pop up in 2 ways:

1. You have not set a password yourself. It says you must set a password, because you forgot to set it up.
2. You or another admin of this device used /user expire-password command. By hand. Manually.

There is another third option, that something bad has happened to your device hardware wise. Maybe submit a warranty case

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:17 pm

... or scheduler exist that executes /user/expire-password <some_user> periodically