Trainer
Topic Author

Some hints on WAVE2

Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:20 pm

Hello
HAP AX3
config built from scratch
everything in a bridge except eth1

this is an extract of the conf, regarding only the wave2 part.

/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk management-protection=allowed name=protetto passphrase=xxxzzzyyyy wps=push-button
/interface wifiwave2 configuration
add channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac country=Italy disabled=no name=cfg1 security=protetto
add channel.skip-dfs-channels=disabled country=Italy disabled=no name=cfg2 security=protetto
/interface wifiwave2
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration=cfg1 configuration.mode=ap .ssid=SSID disabled=no
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration=cfg2 configuration.mode=ap .ssid=SSID disabled=no

I have read the manual, I have understood that the defaults settings choose the widest channel and are good.

I have one customer that complaints that the wifi disconnects...
I had before a single configuration (cfg1) with DFS channel set to 10min-cac
I created a new one (cfg2) for the 2.4g with DFS set to all to avoid any disconnections (there are not dfs in the 2.4).
Is that correct?
I am using 7.8

dark77
just joined

Re: Some hints on WAVE2

Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Did both WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz disappear? Or only devices are not able to connect and is the WiFi still there?
I asked this because, with ROS 7.8, hAP ax3 crashes a lot of times when a device try to connect to its WiFi or when a device is roaming from another AP, but in this case WiFi disappears because the router crashes and reboots...
If this is the case, you can read in Log “Kernel Failure in previous boot” or you can check if autosupout.rif was created.
Using 7.9rc all works without any issue.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:12 pm

Hello
the network disappears from the devices.
I will try the 7.9rc and revert to the previous conf (with a single CFG) for both wlans (as on the HAP AC3) and I will test.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:58 am

authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk
Please...never ever use wpa-psk, that is beyond legacy. You might want to consider wpa3-psk and wpa2-psk...

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:11 am

I agree with you but a lot of devices (home lamps, chinese cheap devices for domotics works in WPA1 ... so I cannot drop completely WPA1.
WPA3 still gave me a lot of issues

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:09 am

Check the uptimes or autosupout files in Files, AX3 rebooted every couple of days with 7.8, has been stable now with 7.9RC4.

KamariJared
just joined

Sat May 06, 2023 3:02 pm

Hello
HAP AX3

add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk management-protection=allowed name=protetto passphrase=xxxzzzyyyy wps=push-button
add channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac country=Italy disabled=no name=cfg1 security=protetto
add channel.skip-dfs-channels=disabled country=Italy disabled=no name=cfg2 security=protetto
/interface wifiwave2
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration=cfg1 configuration.mode=ap .ssid=SSID disabled=no
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration=cfg2 configuration.mode=ap .ssid=SSID disabled=no

I have read the manual, I have understood that the defaults settings choose the widest channel and are good.

I created a new one (cfg2) for the 2.4g with DFS set to all to avoid any disconnections (there are not dfs in the 2.4).
Is that correct?
I am using 7.8
As per my understanding In cfg1, you have set the channel.skip-dfs-channels parameter to "10min-cac," which means it will skip DFS channels for 10 minutes during the channel selection process. This is commonly done to avoid radar interference in certain frequency bands. This configuration is intended for 5GHz Wi-Fi.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 07, 2023 8:55 am

Partially like you explained.
There are 10 minute channels and 1 minute channels during which the AP listens for the given time if radar signals are detected.
If they are, that channel is excluded from use.

skip-dfs-channels (10min-cac | all | disabled)
Whether to avoid using channels, on which channel availability check (listening for presence of radar signals) is required.

10min-cac - interface will avoid using channels, on which 10 minute long CAC is required
all - interface will avoid using all channels, on which CAC is required
disabled (default) - interface may select any supported channel, regardless of CAC requirements

Hominidae

Sun May 07, 2023 12:00 pm

I agree with you but a lot of devices (home lamps, chinese cheap devices for domotics works in WPA1 ... so I cannot drop completely WPA1.
WPA3 still gave me a lot of issues
ESP8266 based devices all support WPA2 (but no WPA3, as the underlying SDK from manufacturer espressif does not support it).
ESP32 chipsets do support WPA3 and firmwares like tasmota do support it well.
I have no issues with my MT APs running on Wave2 and these smart gizmos.

Wasn't able to grab one with the newest ESP32-C6 with wifi 2.4-ax support yet, though: https://www.espressif.com/en/news/ESP32_C6

KamariJared
just joined

Sun May 07, 2023 2:51 pm

Hello
HAP AX3

/interface wifiwave2

Is that correct?
I am using 7.8