Community discussions

MikroTik App

urosg
just joined
Topic Author

WifiWave2 support or not?

Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Hi!

I just go me some new CAPax devices and WAP ac BE and was wondering if the WAP ac BE does support WifiWave2 or not before I start installing them as I did notice that CAPax ONLY supports WifiWave2 so I will have to reconfigure/upgrade my whole setup if I want to use my new devices.

And an additional question is: is it really worth upgrading to the new version at this point or is it better I use the new devices in some one-off installations and wait... ... ...

Thanks!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WifiWave2 support or not?

Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:30 pm

Difficult situation now...

Lots of devices are being moved to ax version. Wap not yet.
Will it come ? Most likely yes.
When ? Nobody knows.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 am

so I will have to reconfigure/upgrade my whole setup if I want to use my new devices.
Why would you do that? Wifiwave2 will work nicely in combination with non-Wifiwave2, I'm running the same mix as you desribed. What I did was set up CAPsMAN on Wifiwave2 for the new ax devices and keep CAPsMAN without Wifiwave2 for the "legacy" cAPs and wAPs. Works like a charm, and beside the fact that there is a difference in UIs for the two CAPsMANs, they happily coexist.

Is it worth upgrading? I think it is. Signal coverage is improved right away after the swap, without making any optimizations.

urosg
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 3:34 pm

Do you then have two controllers? One with legacy CAPsMAN and one with Wifiwave2? Or do you somehow have installed both on one controller (which, how)?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 16, 2023 3:45 pm

He clearly said he has 2 controllers...
It's not possible to put both functions on the same device.

urosg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2023 4:03 pm

I read the Smoerrebroeds' reply a couple of times and did not decipher that he has two controllers especially the last statement
Works like a charm, and beside the fact that there is a difference in UIs for the two CAPsMANs, they happily coexist.
confused me.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2023 4:09 pm

OK, maybe not 100% crystal clear, I give you that, but the small yet quite important mentioning of 2 different UIs should have been the indication it's on 2 separate devices.
It really is.
Capsman legacy and capsman wifiwave2 can not co-exist on the same device as it is now.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 27, 2023 10:07 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but yes, I'm using two RB5009 for running the two CAPsMAN controllers. However, there's no mixup or even disturbance between the two on the same network.