Community discussions

MikroTik App

eduplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP Additional Paths ETA?

Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:55 am

Do we have an ETA on when additional paths (RFC 7911) support is coming? Last year we were told in this thread that multipath and add-path are not implemented even though the
add-path-out=all|none
knob exists and is documented.

I wouldn't personally want development resources diverted away from BFD (the lack of it has already been beaten to death in the forums here, so that's all I'll say about it) but lacking additional paths support and a couple of key BGP knobs [1] make it difficult to use Mikrotik hardware in a lot of traditional BGP-speaking roles. My network is small enough that a full mesh of route reflectors per geographic region is almost as bad as a full mesh of AS-border routers. Lacking such a full mesh, add-path support, or something esoteric like BGP ORR, Mikrotik devices are be unable to pick appropriate in-region hot-potato exits and are therefore unsuitable for those roles.

I know people have been asking for years, but reiterating that it would be very helpful to customers for Mikrotik to provide a software feature roadmap for RouterOSv7 so that we have an idea of what to expect. There is this but it really is better at describing what is currently implemented rather than what is actually coming.

[1] I think easyswiss had it right in the previous thread:

I think Mikrotik doesn't know that as-override, remove-private-asn and add-path-out are the 3 most used bgp tools.

benihelputech
just joined

Re: BGP Additional Paths ETA?

Mon May 01, 2023 9:17 pm

As a new member of the MikroTik community, it seems the more I dig into the product, I'm getting a `you get what you pay for` vibe. Like yeah, it technically works, but 'x' feature doesn't work right now. BFD, additional paths, unnumbered interfaces, etc. I hate complaining, so is there any way users can contribute to the project or install alternative software on the hardware? For example, I would be thrilled if I could install a lightweight linux distro and just run FRR. The hardware seems great, but the software seems moderately adequate at best.