Community discussions

MikroTik App

lkavan
just joined
Topic Author

LTE6 modem at USB?

Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:57 pm

Hallo,
I need to add LTE connection to my network. I would like to use LTE6 module, but I don't have miniPCIe slot in my Mikrotik. But I have read info at support that it is possible tu use miniPCIe to USB adapter and connect LTE modem to Mikrotik's USB. I would like to ask if there is any limitation with this solution or if this works the same as when LTE modem is inserted into onboard miniPCIe slot?
Thanx for your help.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE6 modem at USB?

Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:56 pm

It shouldn't make a difference. Even if you use a miniPCIe slot, it still uses the USB to the OS. So to RouterOS, there is no difference. Only very modern/"5G" modem actually use PCIe.
Most USB-to-miniPCIe adapters should work...but the modem doesn't work, it's likely the adapter not the fact it's USB.

lkavan
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2023 1:11 pm

It shouldn't make a difference. Even if you use a miniPCIe slot, it still uses the USB to the OS. So to RouterOS, there is no difference. Only very modern/"5G" modem actually use PCIe.
Thanx for answer. I see now, that USB adapter is pretty easy and USB is at miniPCIe. OK, I am ordering hardware and I will try it.

lkavan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2023 4:45 pm

So, modem R11e-LTE6 arrived, I have used adapter to USB and connected it to my RB2011UiAS and worked immediatelly! Not need to change IMEI. Czech Republic - T-mobile
Thanx a lot!

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 05, 2023 5:35 pm

Good to hear it just worked! Sometime the APN needs changing or firmware needs to be updated...

I believe all the modem firmwarm update will still work via the R11e-LTE6 via the adapter too. You can check the modem firmware on the LTE interface itself (as it's NOT updated automatically with RouterOS). If things are working, I'd leave it as is – but if you see any trouble make sure you're using the latest LTE modem firmware.

lkavan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2023 6:25 pm

Good to hear it just worked! Sometime the APN needs changing or firmware needs to be updated...
Yes, when I connected the modem, router detected it and wrote that there is new firmware for modem. I upgraded it first, before I disconnected old internet connection. So I have didnt test it with an old firmware, but actual firmware works nice. APN works default one.