Community discussions

MikroTik App

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

VPN using L2TP speed

Sat May 06, 2023 7:16 pm

I am using iperf in linux to test the speed between 2 remote locations (remote as in the Atlantic ocean in between).
Location 1 (linux server behind a Mikrotik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD connected with Ethernet @ 1gbps) WAN speed connection 200Mbps up and down.
Location 2 (linux client on 1gbps ethernet) WAN speed 800Mbps up and down.

Test 1: When i run the test with iperf straight between the client and server, i get 17 mbits/s average.

Test 2: The Mikrotik at location 1 is configured with a VPN using L2TP. I connect to the VPN from a linux Mint client using the L2TP software client and the preshared key in network options.
Once connected to the VPN i can reach the server with a local class C IP.
The iperf tests now averages 7 mbits/s.

Does this sound normal or should i invest some time trying to tweak the Mikrotik settings to see if i get better connection speeds? I use VNC to work on this server and at this speed it is painful to do most tasks and i need the GUI.

Thank you

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN using L2TP speed

Sat May 06, 2023 8:06 pm

Probably normal.
The encryption protocol adds overhead to the traffic being send so the useful load becomes a lot less.

Can go up to 56% for l2tp and that's more or less what you are seeing.

Try wireguard. Less overhead.

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 am

Thank you for the clarification @holvoetn

Tzafar790
just joined

Mon May 08, 2023 2:32 pm

I am using iperf in linux to test the speed between 2 remote locations (remote as in the Atlantic ocean in between).
Location 1 (linux server behind a Mikrotik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD connected with Ethernet @ 1gbps) WAN speed connection 200Mbps up and down.
Location 2 (linux client on 1gbps ethernet) WAN speed 800Mbps up and down.

Test 1: When i run the test with iperf straight between the client and server, i get 17 mbits/s average.

Test 2: The Mikrotik at location 1 is configured with a VPN using L2TP. I connect to the VPN from a linux Mint client using the L2TP software client and the preshared key in network options.
Once connected to the VPN i can reach the server with a local class C IP.
The iperf tests now averages 7 mbits/s.

Does this sound normal or should i invest some time trying to tweak the Mikrotik settings to see if i get better connection speeds? I use VNC to work on this server and at this speed it is painful to do most tasks and i need the GUI.

Thank you

The results of Test 1 and Test 2 are quite low compared to the available WAN speeds at both locations. It's possible that the Mikrotik VPN configuration is adding overhead and reducing the available bandwidth, resulting in slower speeds. It may be worth trying to tweak the Mikrotik settings and experiment with different VPN configurations to see if better connection speeds can be achieved. Additionally, it may be worth considering alternative solutions such as using a different VPN protocol or exploring other methods of remote access that may provide better performance.
Last edited by Tzafar790 on Mon May 08, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 3:42 pm

Thank you guys.
I would like to try using wireguard now.
I found the instructions to set it up and since i am using the 6.47.6 firmware, Wireguard does not pop in the add interface list menu nor is listed in the packages to download.
I guess i need to upgrade the router to OS 7?
I am all good with the idea, but if anything goes wrong with the upgrade, i have no way to reset the router from across the ocean. Does the upgrade usually goes without glitches from 6 to 7 or better not to experiment?
Is there another way to get the wireguard package?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 16, 2023 3:56 pm

Could be a problem... but most proably not.

I've upgraded multiple devices from ros6 tor Ros7 ( even remotely) without a hitch but one single time I had to perform a compete netinstall of ros7 on hex to make things working again ( not changing a single dot on the config!)
You can't do that remotely yet in a reliable way.
Sometimes little bits and pieces of ros6 config are left which then don't play nice with ros7.
Netinstall cleans all those cobwebs out.

The upgrade itself probably will go fine, it could be some of the new features may act up. But usually not ( or this place would be swamped with reports indicating so).
To accommodate for that, keep the other vpn as backup until you see things are as you want.
(Something I would do anyhow with a remote device)

Just presenting my experience, your choice what to do with it.