Community discussions

MikroTik App

anv
Topic Author

Radius client not sending any packets to server

Mon May 08, 2023 11:41 am

I've got a Mikrotik CCR1036 with routeros version 6.49.7 working as VPN server. Now I'm trying to authenticate users against a radius server (a windows domain controller).

I configured the mikrotik side like this:
/radius add accounting-backup=no address=192.168.123.123 domain=zz.local realm=zz.local secret=asdfasdfasdf service=ppp timeout=3s 

/ppp aaa set use-radius=yes
Mikrotik logs shows the message "pptp,ppp,error <1244> user xxx authentication failed - radius timeout", like it was trying to connect to the server but the counters on status tab shows 0 requests and sniffing the traffic with wireshark at server it shows no radius packets incoming. I also used the packet sniffer tool at mikrotik and I see no radius traffic outgoing (pings from mikrotik to radius server works ok and even tried completely disabling windows firewall).

I think the radius server is working OK because I checked it with radtest from linux and it sends queries ok.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Radius client not sending any packets to server

Mon May 08, 2023 11:05 pm

I'm not sure if it is still a thing, but years ago when you first setup a RADIUS client for VPN or PPP you then had to reboot the MT router before it would begin to send the requests. Have not tested that particular requirement in several years, but I believe at least as recently as 6.45 it was still a thing, if you haven't rebooted give it a try.

also good to double check your input and output chain firewall rules, easy to get messed up there.