Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Setup Help

Tue May 09, 2023 5:53 am

I've know a little about Routers and Networks for years but I feel like this Router has me confused on the setup.

Backstory: I had an OnHub by Google as my router that went to a Ruckus 10-port switch. That Ruckus switch hardwired to 2 WAPs (Ruckus r510's) as well as several wall outlets. All of my WAP's and devices worked great but I wanted to upgrade my Router as OnHub was being retired. I picked up the MikroTik hEX S Gigabit Ethernet Router with SFP Port (RB760iGS).

I swap them out and that is when the "fun" began.
1. The TV in my office using Wifi for streaming needs to re-setup the Wifi Network every time I turn on the TV. This never happened with the OnHub. I even extended the lease to 24 hours.
2. Wifi connections will randomly drop and then come back. Firmware's updated on all of the devices. I will have full bars, just no internet for 30 seconds and then it comes back.
3. When I type in the IP address (which is listed in the DHCP Server) of my Octoprint Raspberry Pi, it can't find it. It worked fine and was accessible with the OnHub.

As mentioned, I extended the leases to 24 hours (would prefer never but can't find that option).
Lastly, while trying to figure it out I Click on IP, then go to DHCP Server, then click on the IP Address for one of the two WAPs and the Status says Conflict. No clue what that means or if that is part of my problem.

I am assuming it's a config issue on my part, anyone have any ideas?

Bpmcgee
just joined

Re: Setup Help

Tue May 09, 2023 4:26 pm

NStars,

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have two separate WiFi networks using the same SSID. Are you sure your WAPs have identical configuration? This would explain issues one and two.

Did you eliminate the Ruckus switch and plug everything into the RB760iGS? Is the Raspberry Pi wired or wireless?

I'm sure someone will have more expert advice, but I hope those hints help in the meantime.

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2023 7:14 pm

I appreciate the response back. I only have 1 wifi network that is support by the two WAPs (one for each floor of my house). I also need the Ruckus Switch because I need it to share the signal to the rest of the house via hardlines. So the config looks like this:

Cable Modem > RB760iGS > Ruckus Switch > WAP 1, WAP 2, and several wall sockets

The Raspberry Pi is wireless. With the OnHub, I could type the IP into my browser and it would take me to Octoprint running on the Pi. Now I can see the Pi in the DHCP Server but via a browser it says not found.

So really two issues. The first being the random Wifi drops & my wireless devices like my TV needing to re-setup the wireless network every time I use it.
The second issue is not finding the Raspberry Pi.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 09, 2023 7:16 pm

Network diagram and config /export file=anynameyouwish (minus router serial number and any public WANIP info)

Describe what the purpose of the PI is...........

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2023 3:54 am

https://imgur.com/a/qCUmE73
That's my network diagram.

RaspberryPi is used to run Octoprint for my 3D Printer

My Config: (hopefully not exposing myself)
# model = RB760iGS
# serial number = HIDDEN
/interface bridge
add admin-mac= HIDDEN auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] disabled=yes
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] disabled=yes
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] disabled=yes
set [ find default-name=sfp1 ] disabled=yes
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge lease-time=23h59m name=defconf
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=sfp1
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=192.168.88.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server lease
add address=192.168.88.235 mac-address=D4:C1:9E:92:DD:C0 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.89 client-id=1:HIDDEN comment="Office TV" mac-address=HIDDEN server=defconf
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/Chicago
/system identity
set name=HIDDEN
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
Last edited by BartoszP on Mon May 15, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use proper tags: quote to quote, code for code - keep forum tidy

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 pm

Anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 16, 2023 12:26 am

It seems all your problems are related to the wifi connections. Is that correct?

In other words, if you plug a wired connection into one of the Ruckus switch ports, does that work correctly?

Are the Ruckus WAPs new? i.e when you had the Google OnHub was that what was providing wifi before?

Does your son's PC also get disconnected?

Can you try answering some of the questions in FLINT HILLS TECHNICAL COLLEGE Network Troubleshooting Flowchart to see if you can narrow down where the problem is?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 16, 2023 1:05 am

As mentioned, I extended the leases to 24 hours (would prefer never but can't find that option).
I don't think this is really your problem, but you can make your leases longer than 23h59m.

For example:
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > /ip/dhcp-server/export
# may/15/2023 18:01:30 by RouterOS 7.8
# software id = ****-****
#
# model = RB760iGS
# serial number = ************
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp interface=BR-SW lease-time=1d name=defconf
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 interface=ether5-off_bridge_wrk lease-time=1d name=\
    dhcp1
/ip dhcp-server config
set store-leases-disk=12h
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.88.1 gateway=\
add address=192.168.89.0/24 dns-server=192.168.89.1 gateway=192.168.89.1
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > ip dhcp-server/print
Flags: I - INVALID
Columns: NAME, INTERFACE, ADDRESS-POOL, LEASE-TIME
#   NAME     INTERFACE              ADDRESS-POOL  LEASE-TIME
0   defconf  BR-SW                  default-dhcp  1d        
1 I dhcp1    ether5-off_bridge_wrk  dhcp_pool1    1d        
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > ip dhcp-server/print detail 
Flags: D - dynamic; X - disabled, I - invalid 
 0    name="defconf" interface=BR-SW lease-time=1d address-pool=default-dhcp 
      authoritative=yes use-radius=no lease-script="" 

1  I name="dhcp1" interface=ether5-off_bridge_wrk lease-time=1d 
      address-pool=dhcp_pool1 authoritative=yes use-radius=no lease-script="" 
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > 

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 3:27 am

It seems all your problems are related to the wifi connections. Is that correct?
Correct. I would agree it appears to be all WIFI related. That's why I am thinking there is a setting in the Mikrotik that creating issues with the WAPs. Again a guess.

In other words, if you plug a wired connection into one of the Ruckus switch ports, does that work correctly?
I haven't tried it as they are on the ceiling.

Are the Ruckus WAPs new? i.e when you had the Google OnHub was that what was providing wifi before?
No. I had them from the beginning when my house was built. A tech from Amazon came out and installed the Switch & Ruckus WAP's and it worked with my OnHub. All I did was replace the OnHub with the new Mikrotik in the same chain and that's when the wifi issues started happening. (also, there is no Wifi with my Mikrotik)

Does your son's PC also get disconnected?
My son's PC or PS5 when hardwired are fine. When on wifi it will work and then get dropped or sometimes can't find the wifi at all unless it's rebooted. Just like the Samsung TV

Can you try answering some of the questions in FLINT HILLS TECHNICAL COLLEGE Network Troubleshooting Flowchart to see if you can narrow down where the problem is?
I looked at these questions, but they were mostly around LAN, not wifi which is the main issue.

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 3:33 am

I don't think this is really your problem, but you can make your leases longer than 23h59m.

For example:
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > /ip/dhcp-server/export
# may/15/2023 18:01:30 by RouterOS 7.8
# software id = ****-****
#
# model = RB760iGS
# serial number = ************
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp interface=BR-SW lease-time=1d name=defconf
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 interface=ether5-off_bridge_wrk lease-time=1d name=\
    dhcp1
/ip dhcp-server config
set store-leases-disk=12h
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.88.1 gateway=\
add address=192.168.89.0/24 dns-server=192.168.89.1 gateway=192.168.89.1
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > ip dhcp-server/print
Flags: I - INVALID
Columns: NAME, INTERFACE, ADDRESS-POOL, LEASE-TIME
#   NAME     INTERFACE              ADDRESS-POOL  LEASE-TIME
0   defconf  BR-SW                  default-dhcp  1d        
1 I dhcp1    ether5-off_bridge_wrk  dhcp_pool1    1d        
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > ip dhcp-server/print detail 
Flags: D - dynamic; X - disabled, I - invalid 
 0    name="defconf" interface=BR-SW lease-time=1d address-pool=default-dhcp 
      authoritative=yes use-radius=no lease-script="" 

1  I name="dhcp1" interface=ether5-off_bridge_wrk lease-time=1d 
      address-pool=dhcp_pool1 authoritative=yes use-radius=no lease-script="" 
[demo@RB760iGS-1] > 
So do I just set store-lease-disk = 168h (for a 7 day lease) in the Terminal? Or add that line in? Sorry, not familiar with how to do that.. was hoping it was a setting. Also, do I need to extend the bridge lease to match the store-lease-disk? Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 am

use 7d for 7 days.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 16, 2023 4:18 am

I haven't tried it as they are on the ceiling.
The Ruckus 10 port switch is on the ceiling?

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 4:51 am

Sorry, the Ruckus 10 port switch is full with 1 port filled from the Mik, 2 ports filled with hard lines to the two WAP's and the other 7 are filled with hard lines out to wall sockets as shown in my network diagram link https://imgur.com/a/qCUmE73
Last edited by Nstars07 on Tue May 16, 2023 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 4:52 am

use 7d for 7 days.
Thanks!

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 am

Maybe related, maybe not. R720 DHCP client bug

Nstars07
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2023 4:22 am

Maybe related, maybe not. R720 DHCP client bug
I am not sure but it does look like there is some Heartbeat Loss stuff in the logs of the WAPs that are talked about in the Ruckus community. I will keep searching. Thanks Buckeye for helping out!

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 17, 2023 11:44 pm

I will be surprised if this makes a difference, but you could try forcing the dhcp server to always use broadcasts. That's generally not the best, but in a small network you probably won't notice a difference. There are some devices that periodically poll to verify that devices are still there, and these normally use unicast, which is a better network citizen. And it may not work with some other devices, (so it is possible that it could fix one problem, but cause another). For example see this old thread DHCP - Lease - Option "Always Broadcast", what is the purpose?. In v7.8 on my hEX S the checkbox is at the bottom in WinBox.
hEX S dhcp 1 day lease time.png
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp always-broadcast=yes client-mac-limit=0 \
interface=BR-SW lease-time=1d name=defconf

There is also a checkbox at the bottom of the ip dhcp server window in WinBox (if you can figure out how to get to the screen).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LikeMyFloydPink
just joined

Thu May 18, 2023 12:26 am

EDIT: Replied out of context and realized only after the fact (removed irrelevant content)
Last edited by LikeMyFloydPink on Thu May 18, 2023 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 18, 2023 12:38 am

That was my lab router, not the OPs. And there isn't anything connected to ether5 at the moment.
I was just showing the OP where the "Always Broadcast" was in newer versions of WinBox/ROS than the picture in the link to another thread I posted.

LikeMyFloydPink
just joined

Thu May 18, 2023 12:59 am

That was my lab router, not the OPs. And there isn't anything connected to ether5 at the moment.
I was just showing the OP where the "Always Broadcast" was in newer versions of WinBox/ROS than the picture in the link to another thread I posted.
Roger that - was going off post#5 from OP and got lost in translation. Let me know if I should delete my post.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 18, 2023 2:02 am

The settings on this board won't allow you to detete your post if something follows it. At least to me, that is the way it appears to work.