Community discussions

MikroTik App

frengo
just joined
Topic Author

Routerboard UNREACHABLE (after enabling Protected Routerboot ?)

Tue May 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Hello everyone.

In my network I have four RB493 routerboards equipped with 3 radio cards which have so far given me satisfaction.
The RouterOS version was 7.7 and I just switched from a few weeks to 7.8.
For some time I had been listening to reboots (not caused by me) from time to time that made me suspicious and I thought many times that it was a power problem.
I have everything under UPS and I also switched from POE to DC plug power supplies thinking of solving but even with oversized power supplies I felt the RB restart one at a time in the strangest moments on average 2-3 times a day.
I then read on the hacking forum immediately by the RBs and then put the RB493GAH on the counter to try to reload the OS with Netinstall but without success.

So I thought that Netinstall didn't work because the PRBM was enabled by the hacker but not finding where it was I did a downgrade from 7.8 to 6.44.6 to to find out in which menu this option was and it wasn't enabled, then now a flash of genius came to me in my ignorance and I thought that enabling PRBM was a protection for the RB so I flagged it and set the "Reformat-hold-button" time to 20 seconds.

The strange thing (strange in my opinion but not for experts....) is that now I no longer see the RB in Winbox and therefore I cannot log in (although I have the right password) to be able to disable PRBM.

The firewall of the PC remained as it was. No one has enabled it.

How can I view my RBs again on Winbox or Netinstall so that I can log in, reset and work ?

Do I have to reformat everything (NAND and RAM)?

If so, where is this procedure described in detail? I can't find it.

In:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... bootloader

it says, "If you forget your RouterOS password, your only option is to do a full reformat of both NAND and RAM with the following method, but you need to know the reset button wait time in seconds."

In my misfortune I'm lucky not to have lost the password and I also have the time set which is 20 seconds but I can't enter RouterOS as I don't see the RBs in Winbox

What can I do ?

Thanks in advance

P.s.: I hadn't noticed that it no longer makes the initial beep and then the double beep but it only makes a "hoarse" beep every 48 seconds preceded by a flash of all the LEDs of the LAN ports, as if it restarted continuously.. ..