Community discussions

MikroTik App

Romano2K
just joined
Topic Author

mAP lite as a "wireless RJ45 cable"

Wed May 17, 2023 3:21 am

Hi!

I've looked for existing solutions but couldn't find one, so I just subscribed to ask for a bit of help. :)

I work as a technician for an audiovisual production company. As such, I often have to connect in the field to devices that don't have a DHCP server, using fixed IP addresses or APIPA addresses: AVoIP switches, NDI devices, Dante devices, etc.

I would like to use a mAP lite to manage these devices wirelessly. For example, I would like to connect my mAP lite to the Ethernet port of an AV device, power the mAP lite via PoE or micro-USB, connect my laptop to the mAP lite's Wi-Fi network, and get the same result on my PC as if I had connected it to the device via an Ethernet cable.

That is, if I connected the mAP Lite to an L-Acoustics amplifier that has a fixed IP address 192.168.100.100 and is not a DHCP server, I would like to be able to manually configure an IP address on my PC and be able to log into the amplifier's web interface or use the amplifier's utility as if I were connected via cable. Or if I connected the mAP Lite to a Green-Go intercom system that relies on APIPA addresses, I would like my PC to get an APIPA address and be able to detect all bodypacks with the Green-Go application. Same with an NDI transmitter, with a PTZ IP camera, etc.

Is this possible? While keeping support for multicast, mDNS, etc.
If yes, how?

I thank you in advance for your clarifications! :-)

banananas
just joined

Re: mAP lite as a "wireless RJ45 cable"

Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:51 pm

Hi there,

Did you end up getting this to work?

- W

Romano2K
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:50 pm

Hi! Yes, but let me take it out and check the config again. I'll report back asap.

Romano2K
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:57 am

Hi!

It was actually quite obvious: I've just used Quick Set in WISP Mode, then chose the Bridge instead of the Router Configuration.

The rest is up to you.

With this config, as the name suggests, the mAP Lite acts as a bridge.
So if you plug the mAP Lite to a device and connect a client to the SSID, you get the same result as if you had plugged a network switch between the device and the client.
So if it's a managed network switch, you can manually configure your client with an IPv4 address in the same range as the switch (check its manual) and then connect as if you were wired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.