Community discussions

MikroTik App

linuxocean
just joined
Topic Author

L2TP Ethernet & SSTP Server

Wed May 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Hi. Have a good time.
I'm sorry if I haven't asked in the correct place.
I'm Nube on Mikrotik.
I want to create an L2TP Ethernet tunnel between two servers and then have access to the Internet from second Server that has access to free Internet with SSTP.
Can you please explain to me what I should do?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L2TP Ethernet & SSTP Server

Fri May 19, 2023 5:43 pm

When you talk about "two servers", you mean two Mikrotiks or something else? The reason why I ask is that an "ethernet tunnel" (I figure you mean true L2 tunneling) via any PPP flavor (L2TP included) is supported only by a few vendors, and it seems its support in "mainstream Linux" has been abandoned years ago.

Aside from this, setting up one tunnel from Router A to Router B (aka Server A and Server B, using e.g. L2TP) and another tunnel from Router B to Router C (using e.g. SSTP) is not a big deal provided that Server C is not some public VPN server that uses some complicated policies you do not use more than a single device per account.

Also, L2 tunneling has many drawbacks and should only be used if inevitable, so do you really need it?

So you can get a more useful advice here, but you have to provide a more detailed description of the required topology.