Community discussions

MikroTik App

vandariu
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Trunks communication

Thu May 18, 2023 9:47 am

Hello!

I'm a newbie to the MikroTik world (and to VLANs) trying to build a proper homelab. My knowledge/experience of Mikrotik CLI is null, but I have some experience with linux and freebsd.

I have 2 servers (pfSense routers) that are connected between each other through the SFP+ 1 and 2 ports of a MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM24. The servers communicated properly without VLANs (default VLAN 1), but when I implement bridge VLAN Tables (SFP1 and SFP2 as tagged trunks and some ethernet access ports as untagged), the servers cannon communicate between each other (no ping, no nothing). Interestingly, the untagged ethernet ports work fine, just the trunks seem to not communicate between each other. My final goal is to properly and securely segregate my network, everything „managed” (DHCP, internet access, firewall etc.) by the 2 pfSense routers that are in a High Availability configuration.

pfSense1 <---trunk---> MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM24 <---trunk---> pfSense2

Is the „Switch Rules” menu of the MikroTik something I should read further or perhaps something else?

Thank you in advance for any help!

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Trunks communication

Thu May 18, 2023 1:51 pm

For a CRS3xx you should configure a single VLAN-aware bridge which utilises L2 hardware offloading, see https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... NFiltering and viewtopic.php?t=143620

You need to add or change settings under /interface bridge (Bridge > Bridge), /interface bridge port (Bridge > Ports) and /interface bridge vlan (Bridge > VLANs).

Switch rules are only required to filter or modify packets passing through the switch chip.

vandariu
just joined
Topic Author

Re: VLAN Trunks communication  [SOLVED]

Thu May 18, 2023 9:39 pm

Thanks for the link. Even if I have read through it several times before posting, I've probably missed or misconfigured some steps. I tried once more after a factory reset and everything seems to work fine! It is likely that trying to set the management access has broken something... Understanding what exactly pvid does helped a lot.

Thank you and have a good day!