Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jimbo77
just joined
Topic Author

Best configuration for my setup. Vlan, bridge…?

Thu May 25, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi !

I want to set the solution below. Being a real beginner regarding network, I'm a bit lost in all this story of bridge, interface, plan... and I'm struggling to find the best solution to my setup.
As you can see on the schema, it's pretty simple but I don't know if I have/should create one or two bridges on the router or the switch. If I have to use bridge port for vlan or vlan interface.
Today I have something working but without the LAN on the switch. So the most complicated part which was the WAN part with the provider connection is ok, but I still need your help as I said to find the best implementation for my need.
One more thing, I don't need the list of commands ;)

Thanks

Jim

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Best configuration for my setup. Vlan, bridge…?

Mon May 29, 2023 3:14 am

I'm a bit lost in all this
So are we.

When posting, you need to think like a successful fisherman, and use enticing bait instead of dangling an empty hook into the water and expecting to get any nibbles.

What have you tried? What was your expectation and how was it different than the result?

What resources have you studied? Have you skimmed the official documentation? Have you used Google to search?
Have you watched any youtube videos?

Some recommendations for adding bait to your request for help post follow:

A quote from George Pólya's book How To Solve It "It is foolish to answer a question that you do not understand. It is sad to work for an end that you do not desire."
So be sure to give enough infomation so we understand the problem and your requirements. And avoid The XY_problem
See Getting Answers and How to Report Bugs Effectively
@anav's New User Posting For Assistance
Getting the most out of this forum

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 29, 2023 3:37 am

Why is not your 5009 connected to the ISP and everything then connected to the 5009?

One bridge only
If you want to run several subnets on your switches it makes sense to use VLANs.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 29, 2023 5:35 am

IMHO, OP wants partial router-on-a-stick config. Easy to do with VLANs and a single bridge on each device.

As of WHY? My only explanation is >1Gbit WAN. If the ISP went straight to RB5009, it won't have another 10Gbit port for downstream switch, so if any other switch connects, it will be limited to 2.5Gbit on Eth1 (or 1Gbit on other Eth) shared across all clients on that particular switch. That kinda defeats the purpose of fast WAN.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with getting separate CRS305 and CSS610. The CSS has limited capability due to SwOS Lite and both together are quite expensive ($149+$119=$268). Instead would get a single CRS326 which will be easier to manage, costs only $199 and has more ports. There are few conditions which would prevent that:
- physical location requirements (e.g. if CRS305 is meant to be far from CSS610, then pulling one fiber may be easier than pulling many cables to clients)
- another 10Gbit downstream from CRS305 or CSS610 is needed (in OP's layout, both will have one SFP+ spare for future expansion)

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 29, 2023 6:36 am

IMHO, OP wants partial router-on-a-stick config.
You are guessing. Without more info, that's all that is possible.

Part of the reason for pushing back to the OP for more clarification, is because just by trying to explain it, he will get a better understanding of what he doesn't know, and where he needs to focus the effort on.

You can proposed "crystal ball" solutions, but I have wasted quite a bit of time playing that game (20 questions/whack-a-mole) in the past, and my current stance is that if a problem isn't worth the effort to be clearly stated, it isn't worth my effort to propose a solution.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 am

That is right - I am guessing. Thats why I wrote "IMHO". Do not worry, I have no intention to waste any time on that because either people can figure out themselves or they hire someone to do it for them. I am usually happy to help only if it is obvious mistake or something small. Not a whole project. Those days are behind me.

Jimbo77
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2023 10:43 am

First of all, sorry not to have replied sooner but I was very busy for the last days.

Regarding the remarks you made, my idea was to have a guideline about the router switch configuration. Do I have to use only one bridge or several? Its seems there is several ways to implement vlan, there is a better one? But maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a network guy :)

To clarify, the reason why I took these models.
The RB5009 and the CSS610 will be "far" from the CR305. Second point, fiber is pretty easy to deploy.
So it seems logical to take this configuration.

Now to be honest, I finished my configuration the last week-end, so if you do some recommandations, it's still interesting but there is a small change I modify my configuration.

I don't have the configuration right now, but I could put them here to see if you have any remarks. And it could help other people.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 11:49 am

Do I have to use only one bridge or several?
One per device as per this tutorial. The main reason (which everybody should be interested in) is that only one bridge can be offloaded to hardware (meaning wirespeed operation of switching/bridging), the rest are handled by (slow) CPU. All other ways (still mentioned in various web tutorials and videos) are obsolete since few years ago (or niche setups involving particular almost-obsolete hardware).