MikroTik App

drccr
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with performance RB3011UiAS

Fri May 26, 2023 4:57 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with the RB3011UiAS. The firmware is the 6.49.2

I have a ISP that give me an ILC 1Gb/1Gb.
The ISP installa Albis-elcon a router where the fiber from the street arrive on SFP1. On the SFP2 start another fiber patch and goes on Mikrotik SFP. on the mkt sfp I have a PPPoE authentication.

I checked with ISP and the MTU are correct.
ISP made a bandwith test on the SFP1 and the values are corrected (900Mb/900Mb). On the Mkt I have like 300Mb/300Mb

Have you any advice?

Thanks

thuety
just joined

Re: Problem with performance RB3011UiAS

Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:12 am

PPPoE is CPU heavy.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/slow-pppoe- ... ent/146360
https://medium.com/avenum-technology-bl ... 5fe6c30b70
Maybe the MT PPPoE implementation is poor.
How busy is the router cpu during load?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problem with performance RB3011UiAS

Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:50 am

Recently I upgraded my home internet ... ISP finaly brought in FO, so my subscription plan is 1G/100M. I took the opportunity to upgrade my router/firewall from ROS v6 to v7 (7.9.1 to be exact).

I did the upgrade in two steps:
  1. base line was using previously configured RBD52G (running ROS 6.49.8 ), which had a long history of upgrading and tuning of firewall rules. It also had VLAN-aware bridge so L2 was not offloaded to HW. Test results peaked at disapointing 350+Mbps. Fasttrack was enabled ...
  2. temporary installation of RB951G, running target ROS version.
    It did positively surprise me that it was able to route at almost wire speed (speedtest peaked at slightly less than 900Mbps in downlink) with CPU utilization going up to 100%.
  3. netinstall my main router (RBD52G a.k.a. hAP ac2) to 7.9.1 and re-do the configuration from scratch, based on defaults. This time, I configured VLANs using switch chip directives.
    This one does manage full 1Gbps at around 25% of average CPU load. Device has 4 CPU cores and none of them actually went over 50% during speed test.
    Then I repeated test, but disabling fasttrack FW rule. In this case speedtest peaked at around 400Mbps, average CPU Load reaching 50%. But again, none of CPU cores was fully utilized.
    ROS v7 is supposed to be slightly slower at routing tasks due to changes in linux kernel (which is a base for ROS), so ROS v6 should do even better.

My ISP uses PPPoE, so my router has to deal with it as well. I'm using router in a hybrid configuration (ISP uses tagged VLAN to deliver IPTV multicasts, which I pass through router towards IPTV boxes) meaning that WAN port is part of unified bridge supporting a few VLANs. Ingress device then has to tag/untag internet traffic on WAN interface.
A few years ago, when I purchased the RBD52G, I discovered (and MT confirmed) a bug which means that PPPoE PADI/PADO packets are not properly tagged/untagged by switch chip (hence original configuration of device using bridge vlan-filtering). This bug is not fixed in 7.9.1. So now my ISP line is attached to another switch which does tagging/untagging internet traffic and RBD52G only deals with PPPoE. I don't think that L2 HW offload makes that much of a difference, when I got the device I did some tests and those showed that RBD52G is capable of bridging more than 2Gbps of traffic (as comparison and IIRC, RB951G could do slightly less than 1Gbps).

RB3011 uses CPU of similar architecture as RBD52G does (ARM), so if I would extrapolate my own experience I'd say using fasttrack is essential on these devices (which in turn means that IPv6 performance will suck big time) and that it might be benefitial if device was net-installed and configured from scratch (avoid using binary backup, use text export of current configuration as reminder about special setup but try to stick to default config as foundation).