Community discussions

MikroTik App

Buford
just joined
Topic Author

Is running OSPF on Campus Network Overkill?

Mon May 29, 2023 5:46 am

Hello everyone!
I hope this post is not too much of a trouble.
Below is my proposed network upgrade (we actually have about 12+ locations). My objective is to make the current network as fast and secure as possible. The CRS317s are used for fiber-optic connections. Is this overkill? I currently have multiple VLANs. I don't use OSPF. Should I use OSPF? Your inputs are most appreciated.
proposed network.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Is running OSPF on Campus Network Overkill?

Mon May 29, 2023 5:17 pm

It depends on your objectives. It also depends on factors such as throughput to the ISP's, whether you're currently running BGP with them, if you're NATting anywhere, etc.

OSPF alone, when configured correctly, will ensure each router's path to the next one will take the shortest path, and if one (or more fails), it will take the preferred backup path, depending on the costs you set.

But there's more than just OSPF to help with this. You can also use BGP, especially in a multi-homed setup like you have. Also, when configured correctly, this can ensure each router sends the traffic back out over the ISP closest to the remote end, or over the largest pipe first, unless it's down.

BGP + OSPF (with a pair of route reflectors) would be a clean, straightforward way to go with this particular setup.

All of these CRS317's can route in hardware (L3HW offload), presuming you're not doing any kind of NAT or firewall on the 317's directly. That means they can all handle BGP + OSPF and pass traffic at wirespeed.

wiseroute

Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 am

hello Buford

[*]
we actually have about 12+ locations
[*]

from your diagram,
are those college's on different geographical location connected by private wan ie. thru isp mpls, metro ether/vpls or something? (even though they are using fiber links).

or... those colleges are in 1 location but just different building?

are those colleges currently *independent* from one another? ie. they have their own set of vlans? their own set of subnet, their own access policy etc?

if yes, then for each college/building you should have vlans termination point (a router/firewall).

routing protocols can't have one same subnet on two different locations. split horizon. that is if you want to connect those college all together.

while redundant/high availability will follow the first routing setup.

ospf or rip could be options for internal routing. but I knew that nowadays many college are putting their network live to the internet using ebgp as well. i don't know what they have in mind but I think nat actually should be enough for the internet presence.

are those data centers outside your site? ie. they resides on public data center?

Buford
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:48 am

Hello there!

Thank you for your replies sirbryan and wiseroute.

Sorry for not responding to your questions immediately. Typhoon Mawar caused such a problem for us.

***All locations are in one general area. Distances from the data center range from 300 meters to 1200 meters.

*** Each location has a separate VLAN, All have the same policies except for the administration.

*** Data center is on-site

I will try and implement OSPF+BGP and give you an update soon.

Have a great day!