Community discussions

MikroTik App

Skyerawket
just joined
Topic Author

Both VRRP interfaces running as master

Mon May 29, 2023 9:05 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make a redundant network with 2 routers.
I configured a couple of VLANs, each with an VRRP interface.
I also configured different priorities to balance outbound internet traffic between the 2 routers.
Everything is seems running right except one of the VRRP interfaces.
When RT1 has higher priority than RT2 both are running as master. (trace route goes to RT1).
When RT2 has higher priority than RT1 only RT2 is running as master.
Any idea what could be the cause?

edit: I checked the logs and I'm getting the following error , which i believe causes this problem.
18:59:45 interface,warning LACP-RT1: bridge RX looped packet - MAC 00:00:5e:00:01
:63 -> 01:00:5e:00:00:12 VID 99 ETHERTYPE 0x0800 IP PROTO 112 172.16.99.254 -> 224
First MAC is MAC from VRRP interface and no clue what second MAC address is from.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Both VRRP interfaces running as master

Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm

The second MAC address is a multicast one to which the active master periodically sends a notification for the other VRRP devices. If a VRRP device doesn't receive such a notification from a device with a higher priority than its own, it becomes a master itself. The source MAC address is reserved for the virtual IP address asssociated to the VRRP master, so the loop detector running on an active evaluates the frame sent from another master as a looped one.

As you haven't posted the export of the configurations, I can only speculate that on the device that keeps acting as a master even though a higher priority device is a master too, the rules in chain input of /ip firewall filter block the incoming VRRP notifications.