Community discussions

MikroTik App

blacksnow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Which device is better for my use case?

Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 am

I'm trying to determine which device will be better for my desired use case as described below. I need you pros to help me narrow the decision and point out any issues in my thinking process.

Background:
I already have a CCR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ and it serves as my base, connecting my servers, workstations and other heavy bandwidth using systems. It also serves as the base for all my connectivity when I am not local. The ultimate plan is to live on one network connected through WireGuard and other tunnels and this CCR serves as the "home" destination for all of that. We can call this Router X at Site A, and it has a symmetrical 5G fiber WAN connection (might get upgraded to 10G fiber but that doesn't matter atm).

Use Case:
I have another place that I travel to and stay long periods that is across the pond, I often watch movies from my library (streaming), do development coding (source code and code compilation stays local to servers behind Router X) but streaming using remote desktop, pull down or push up various artifacts (think vacation photos, iso files, videos, etc.). In the current state, I just have one device that connects via WG to Router X and I can access resources like that. Obviously, this is annoying, if someone wants to watch TV or a movie I have to download it, put it on a USB and then they watch it on the TV like that. I have no interest in maintaining multiple device WG connections to Router X when not necessary (obviously I make exceptions for phones and other appropriate devices) but for static locations I want to simply setup the site (Site B) with another router (Router Z) that will maintain one or more WG connections as needed back to Router X. All devices that connect to Router Z would be managed in one way or another and inherit the capability to connect to approved resources at Site A. Site B has a symmetrical 1G fiber connection, with potential to upgrade to 2-10G in the near future but this will never become more than a satellite location.

Problem:
I am not the only one who uses the internet at Site B (other users will consume at least 100-200Mbps of the connection at any given time), I also don't want latency impacted significantly for other users which means I need a router device that is fast enough to handle the traffic for regular users as well as keep up with whatever I am doing. I don't really care about PoE as I have a switch I can throw in front of whatever router device to handle all my PoE needs up to even 802.3bt.

Minimum Requirements:
1) Has at least 1 10G sfp+ port.
2) Capable of running WG and maintaining at least 800Mbps (preferably 1G) WG traffic while still performing the router tasks for all other traffic (which may be in some cases another 1G) simultaneously.
3) Small form factor if possible.
4) Budget max for the router is $700, but no reason to spend it all if it's not warranted.
5) ** Bonus points for passively cooled devices and non-rack designed devices.

Devices Considered:
*I am aware of the benefits of L3HW offloading and it is amazing on the CCR2216/CCR2116 but this is out of the budget for this particular use case.*
1) RB5009UPr+S+IN and RB5009UG+S+IN
I've heard reports of the RB5009 not performing well in certain combinations when using the 2.5G port, has this been completely fixed? Is the RB5009 capable of handling the WG traffic + additional traffic?
2) CCR2004-16G-2S+PC
I feel fairly confident the CPU on here would be able to handle my required WG traffic and then also be able to handle any other traffic from other users etc. But is it overkill? No 2.5G port or any multi-gigabit options means I'll have to use a switch which I guess isn't a huge deal but it would be nice not to have to have so many devices (I don't plan on using SFP+ modules to ethernet, never had a good experience there).
3) CHR + custom mini pc (like beelink or minisforum) and then just connect to my extra switch?
I could find one that has a sufficient CPU and I assume pretty much all of them would have to be faster than the arm equivalents, only issue is it won't have a 10G SFP+ which limits my WAN capabilities down the line.

Any thoughts, experiences or other suggestions from anyone is appreciated.

blacksnow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Which device is better for my use case?

Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm

No one has an opinion? On the internet this is impossible, must be upside down month =D.