Community discussions

MikroTik App

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is too much to ask for Dude x64 windows client?

Wed May 31, 2023 2:18 pm

I hope you provide a x64 version of The Dude Client for windows, besides/instead of the 32bit version.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is too much to ask for Dude x64 windows client?

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 pm

Is there any practical reason, except for the fashion of the moment?
What is wrong that a mere "transposition" from 32 to 64 bit, without touching anything else, would solve?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:06 pm

I hope you provide a x64 version of The Dude Client for windows, besides/instead of the 32bit version.

i think yes is too much to ask

i think currently there is other much more pressing tasks

The Dude has stopped its development for a good reason, it needs a complete overhaul to 64 bit not only for client but in the server side thats not a minor task, maybe with containers does not make much sense to invest time and resources in The Dude when you can deploy a container with a much more capable monitoring solution

most people asking for 64bit client is not for use in windows per se, is for use in windows emulated on ARM Mac which only emulates 64bit so its a very niche use

I use windows 64bit and use the dude client 32bit without problem

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:11 pm

most people asking for 64bit client is not for use in windows per se, is for use in windows emulated on ARM Mac which only emulates 64bit so its a very niche use
THANK YOU, finally someone who speaks for facts, and not just for requests,
THANKS again for pointing this out, I hadn't thought of that...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 pm

Correct, the "need" for 64-bit Dude client is for non-Window users ;). And not just ARM Macs, the Intel ones can't use 32-bit wine either since the MacOS kernel dropped 32-bit support long ago. Whether that's "very niche" case given Windows market share down to 53%, IDK ;)

... and we're a long way from some "new Dude" or "cross platform winbox" that offer non-wine options for us Mac users.

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:32 pm

dud_mac.png
It runs on M1 MacOS Ventura with wine
~ % wine --version
wine-6.0.2 (WineskinCX 21.2.0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scruffyedc
just joined

Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:15 am

how did you install it, I get the dude setup clean window and then crash

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:52 am

how did you install it, I get the dude setup clean window and then crash
On Linux, you can install the i386 libs and 32-bit wine. Now...for Intel-based Mac, wine wouldn't work with 32-bit Dude.

Scruffyedc
just joined

Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:07 am

Optio obviosly made it work somehow…

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:39 pm

On Linux, you can install the i386 libs and 32-bit wine. Now...for Intel-based Mac, wine wouldn't work with 32-bit Dude.
Must be CrossOver wine, it can run 32bit applications with emulation on 64bit CrossOver wine https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/jwhite ... ially-cool.
Wine Is Not an Emulator acronym doesn't sound right here :)
For Mac, I'm using builds from: https://github.com/Gcenx/winecx
Here is on my Mac Intel:
ss_mac_int_wine.png

$ wine --version
wine-8.0.1 (WineskinCX 23.5.0)
It's actually wine64, I created symlink to wine64 for convenience, but it's not necessary
$ file $(which wine)
..../wine: symbolic link to wine64

All these MT windows applicatins work on Mac, 32bit and 64bit (some are 64bit, just renamed without 64 in name like winbox.exe and netinstall.exe):
ss_finder_mt_wine.png
Also created wrapper app with Automator using AppleScript to directly run them from Finder.

Edit: And just figured out that Winbox when is updated replaces itself with 32bit build if is named winbox.exe instead winbox64.exe, I guess I need to download 64bit again and keep winbox64.exe filename... lol
$ file btest.exe 
btest.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 10 sections
$ file $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Dude/dude.exe 
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Dude/dude.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 10 sections
$ file flashfig.exe 
flashfig.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 10 sections
$ file netinstall.exe 
netinstall.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 12 sections
$ file winbox.exe 
winbox.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 10 sections
$ file winbox64.exe 
winbox64.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows, 12 sections
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Must be CrossOver wine, it can run 32bit applications with emulation on 64bit CrossOver wine
No idea, when installing wine64 on Debian Linux (64-bit) and using it to run winbox64.exe it keeps whining (wining?) that "it looks like wine32 is missing, you should install it." even though the winbox64.exe then just works.
On another system I gave in and installed wine32 and that works as well, but it installs many dependent i386 architecture packages (libraries), not everyone likes that.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm

Basically it's just Intel-based Mac where there is no possibility for the 32-bit Wine needed for the 32-bit Dude. While annoying, i386 arch files are needed on Linux, but it's at least solvable. The only solution for Dude on Intel-based Mac is a VM (either with windows, or linux with i386). Or, perhaps CrossOver, but I've used that. I already have VMs, so I just run Dude there.

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:26 pm

Did not try Winbox on vanilla wine so I can't tell my experience. Unfortunately there are no packages with CrossOver wine build from official sources of any major Linux distro (afaik), Codeweavers are charging premium subscription for their builds and frontend GUI to easily set up wine prefix to run windows application. Users are usually using CrossOver for gaming but their modifications on wine makes it more optimized and windows applications runs better on it and it supports 32bit to 64bit emulation.
Gcenx is creating Mac builds from Codeweavers official sources as stated on his github repo since they must reveal modified source due to wine GPL licence, then it will be possible to create Linux builds from it if someone is willing to do, maybe it can be found somewhere, I didn't search thoroughly.
Last edited by optio on Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:40 pm

For Linux, there is also Value's Proton emulator: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

I know Dude works on a ARM SteamDeck, which runs ArchLinux-based SteamOS with Proton. But I don't know if it works on normal Linux, but there is source for it.

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:26 pm

"Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers." Thats why is working with it, probably same wine code in it.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:02 am

"Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers." Thats why is working with it, probably same wine code in it.
Yeah I'd imagine that's right.

I don't have a system to check, but maybe the Linux Steam Engine client gets you the CodeWeaver wine...

Scruffyedc
just joined

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:16 am

I am very unsuccessful with the crossover, just downloaded it.

when I wanna run the install for dude using wine crossover, it just shows the bottle and then in 60s the bottle disappear

wine64 shows this:
PastedGraphic-1 3.png
crossover shows nothing

Mac intel with Sonoma

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:29 am

You may to use just use "wine" to start Dude, not "wine64". But I've never used CodeWeavers, but I do know Steam on Mac doesn't support 32-bit code. I gave up and just use Windows VM on my Intel Mac once Darwin stopped provide 32-bit code support.

Scruffyedc
just joined

Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:07 am

do I have to use the installator from the website? or there is just the exe somewhere?

this is what I get, no window visible
PastedGraphic-1 4.png

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:33 am

Scruffyedc
just joined

Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:42 am

here is my windows :))))))
PastedGraphic-1 5.png
very small

when I hit enter twice new exec icon shows... if I press enter again it closes

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:03 am

Did you not read the text is showed?

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:13 pm

@Scruffyedc this is not right place to discuss wine issues. Just tip, did you try to install missing freetype library over MacPorts or Homebrew? Personally I use MacPorts. Also library is installed with XQuartz: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=35920

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:46 pm

maybe with containers does not make much sense to invest time and resources in The Dude when you can deploy a container with a much more capable monitoring solution
Such as?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Yes. But the niche is growing. Got a new MAC-Book. Basic stuff like closing and opening the lid, I am suffering with windows for years, is just working. All day battery. Perfect device for Network admins. Single stuff missing is Winbox and Dude.

And there is Qualcom Snapdragon X Series (ARM) for Windows arriving next year. And I guess windows will drop 32bit SW at some time, too.

So there should be some effort to bring Winbox/Dude Client from the past to the future.

riv
just joined

Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:44 pm

Yes. But the niche is growing. Got a new MAC-Book. Basic stuff like closing and opening the lid, I am suffering with windows for years, is just working. All day battery. Perfect device for Network admins. Single stuff missing is Winbox and Dude.

And there is Qualcom Snapdragon X Series (ARM) for Windows arriving next year. And I guess windows will drop 32bit SW at some time, too.

So there should be some effort to bring Winbox/Dude Client from the past to the future.
And what's ironic?

https://mikrotik.com/software is displaying MacBook Pro and iMac for showcase ( yea I know, they're displaying webfig ) , but MT is still not supporting Mac apps :D

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:53 pm

I worked around with a virtual Win11-Arm-64bit in Vmware Fusion. Winbox and Dude works with the integrated emulation. Attached a USB-Networkadapter. Works fine so Dude works with MAC-Address based connect, too. MacBooks are crazy fast so the emulation runs fine.

layna60
just joined

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:24 pm

Requesting a Dude x64 Windows client isn't too much to ask; it reflects a desire for compatibility and optimal performance. This feedback is valuable for developers, signaling user preferences and needs. Engage with the community or submit the request to the developers to enhance the user experience and meet evolving expectations.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 pm

But dear ChatGPT, there is no development of Dude anymore! So why would "developers" be interested in that?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:56 pm

But dear ChatGPT, there is no development of Dude anymore! So why would "developers" be interested in that?
While true... I agree with the robots here. I use it every day still. And, it's annoying on a Intel Mac as it requires a VM... But wine on ARM Mac (via Rosetta) and Linux (with i386 packages) support running the 32-bit code. So "only" 32-bit only an issue with Intel-based Mac (which I have). But to the point, Intel-based Mac are getting older now...

But there has been no EOL etc notice — only speculation — on the Dude & yet still featured on the website as:
The Dude network monitor is a new application by MikroTik which can dramatically improve the way you manage your network environment. It will automatically scan all devices within specified subnets, draw and layout a map of your networks, monitor services of your devices and alert you in case some service has problems.
https://mikrotik.com/thedude

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:07 pm

It would be better to switch to an open-source monitoring application and focus on developing some MikroTik-specific modules for that, like an API interface module and some scripts to perform common tasks.
Then you would not have to worry about the runtime environment all the time.
(I have experimented a bit with Dude way in the past and I think it wasn't that impressive)

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Maybe. The Dude "speak" winbox, so all the data-srcs/probes are just "richer" than via SNMP & I like that it goes to a simple SQLite database.

But The Dude actually collects data extreme well & and no external cloud/server is needed – is my main use case. So I pull/view historical charts from Dude to debug issues...work well for years & has enough options quickly allow adding new devices with right probes. Now as "map-based" dashboard & alerting/alarm system – it's not so good at those things.

So in my "data recorder" usage, it's the lack of documentation on the SQLite dude.db file that limits me – since I'd like to export CSV of some RouterOS+Dude data: without using a GUI...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:29 pm

That is why I wrote "developing some MikroTik-specific modules for that, like an API interface module and some scripts to perform common tasks".
I have done some monitoring using Perl scripts and the Perl API module and it is quite easy to pull data from the router that way.
I only use that to pull data from the DHCP leases table and the connections table, but it could be used for anything.
Indeed what I tried with Dude was to setup a network map using the Windows application, and that was a pain.

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:51 pm

it's annoying on a Intel Mac as it requires a VM...
It is possible to run it with crossover wine because it supports 32bit emulation
dude-mac.png