Community discussions

MikroTik App

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

7.9 WiFi-Wave2 abomination

Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:33 pm

This should be pulled as a release. What a friggin' joke. I have just been burned badly by this.
Set up AX2, updated to latest 'stable', wifi seemed good. Left site to sort other bits remotely. This morning find no users can connect - exactly like in the reddit post.
Eventually gave in and rebooted the router, users could connect again. for 1hr only.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comme ... are_button

downgraded to 7.8 now, will see how it goes.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 7.9 WiFi-Wave2 abomination

Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 pm

Move forward to 7.10rc1.
I also abandoned 7.9 completely.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm

I still failed to duplicate the bug between Echo Plus / Alexa and hAP ax² (7.9.1, i can not install 7.9.2 or I reset the timers....)…
(the only peripheral that stays at home for days, I have to go out to work...)

Everyone who writes about the bug had ever posted their configuration (no screenshots) just a useless list of chatter, maybe just for "me too"...
And when I ask, had anyone ever opened a ticket or sent the supout.rif with the ticket...

Rox169

Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:54 pm

yes, we all have nothing to do but just only write here meee toooo. It can be combination of setting and client HW so you will never face it with one device...think a bit

BTW 7.10rc1 seems ok for few days already.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:56 pm

MT support themselves have answered to quite a bit of problem reports to move to 7.10 chain.
Then why would anyone bother anymore to provide supout for 7.9 ??
7.9 is already history.

7.8 was pretty stable for me.
7.9 was a disaster. Disconnects, password not valid anymore even when you enter it correctly, PMKSA errors, ...
7.10rc1 is ok again.

What more info is needed then ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:02 pm

I'm not saying it's not true, it's just that there is never precise evidence.

I never install the canary/alpha/beta/rc versions either in production or at home...

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:13 pm

Move forward to 7.10rc1.
+1

No isuue here 7.10RC1.... uptime.....

sys/reso/print
uptime: 5d19h13m17s
version: 7.10rc1 (testing)
build-time: May/25/2023 13:01:12
factory-software: 7.5
free-memory: 604.9MiB
total-memory: 928.0MiB
cpu: ARM64
cpu-count: 4
cpu-frequency: 864MHz
cpu-load: 0%
free-hdd-space: 94.8MiB
total-hdd-space: 128.5MiB
write-sect-since-reboot: 992
write-sect-total: 339834
bad-blocks: 0%
architecture-name: arm64
board-name: hAP ax^2
platform: MikroTik

If your not trying it why comment on it!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:17 pm

If your not trying it why comment on it!
Who are you referring to?

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm

You why?
Is that a problem?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:29 pm

You why?
Is that a problem?
No, I wanted to know what problem you had, since this topic is about 7.9, and not 7.10rc,
but maybe you didn't notice.

You don't understand either the difference, or even what I wrote about previously.

So it's more relevant that I write to us here, using 7.9.x, instead of you using 7.10rc.
And by the way it's not an uptime comparison between devices, but how long a device stays connected to wifi before getting stuck.

So now I'm asking, If your not have 7.9x, why comment on it?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 pm

No, I wanted to know what problem you had, since this topic is about 7.9, and not 7.10rc,
Small correction. This topic is NOT about 7.9 but how wifi on 7.9 is (to say it friendly) "a problem".
See the difference ?

And the solution is to move on.
Advised by MT staff.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 pm

Small correction. This topic is NOT about 7.9 but how wifi on 7.9 is (to say it friendly) "a problem".
See the difference ?

And the solution is to move on.
Advised by MT staff.
And what difference would there be in this "text comma"?

Where is the non-canary-alpha-beta-rc of the 7.10?

I am complaining about how people complain about things without even deigning to show the config, open a ticket or submit the supout.rif file,
then if we want to cover it all up with "there's 7.10rc anyway", fine,
know that there are people who act too much as a guinea pig with versions not called "canary-alpha-beta-rc" but which practically are...

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:20 pm

Lets see how many drop in on this thread and say 7.10RC1 is still no good, that will give us a better idea. On Reddit I'm seeing people say 7.10beta5 still no good.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:25 pm

... and I would ask them too, "did you open the ticket and provide the supout.rif?", "Where is the export of your configuration instead of just chatting?"

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:48 pm

If it all worked as expected, I wouldn't feel the need to be here and chat OR express my thoughts but apparently people are to eager to bash others for having a mind of their own it would seem. Look I've tried all the versions since owning Mikrotik AX products for the first time this year. And for me they work great for the most part. Clearly there are problems with PMKSA errors and some have reported crashing at thhe same time. So for me using every version those problems would be more profound. If I had a problem where I felt that it was a Special problem then yes I would send a supout.rif file to Microtik but the problem is well known No? For me that problem with those errors have subsided in version 7.10RC1 Is that because logs have been dulled etc.. I don't know!.
But I am trying. I can get away with doing that because I have nothing to loose. If you wish to prolong... carry on.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:53 pm

Protagonism craze? You are the first to ask why one comments...
If you feel the target of my comments, then you are one of those who do not cooperate in fixing bugs, when they exist.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:56 pm

It IS already (largely) fixed in 7.10-chain ... please ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:03 pm

It IS already (largely) fixed in 7.10-chain ... please ?
And who doubts it?

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:02 pm

There is no interesting config to post. Just basic interfaces in bridge to act as an access point, as well as standard NAT routing.

WiFi works, until an hour later, then get all the key-exchange timeouts like in the reddit screenshot. Sat there for an hour messing around turning off WPA3-PSK, PMKID, etc. Nothing would let the clients reconnect. until a reboot.
then 1hr later same again.
been on 7.8 since my post this morning and they have stayed connected.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm

There are dozens of examples throughout the forum, even on other occasions, where posting the configuration made the difference.

There are dozens of examples throughout the forum, even on other occasions, where the user who doesn't care to collaborate, especially after certain replies,
is ignored.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 pm

There are dozens of examples throughout the forum, even on other occasions, where posting the configuration made the difference.

There are dozens of examples throughout the forum, even on other occasions, where the user who doesn't care to collaborate, especially after certain replies,
is ignored.
Do you want the config from the now-working 7.8 then? because that's all I have. It's the same config that wasn't working on 7.9.2.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:47 pm

7.8 and 7.9 is no different in this regard. We have reason to believe this issue is simply appearing in very rare and specific cases. Sometimes it goes 2-3 weeks without a problem and then starts. It is most likely just that. It comes out so rarely, that we can't yet find any single cause or relation to anything. If you can reliably reproduce this issue, contact support please.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 pm

That's not very reassuring.

I had hoped it was an acknowledged problem.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 am

Well, how about this.

I installed another hap ax2 the other week. it upgraded to 7.9.2.

I was just trying to get a Cap lite running 6.47.10 to connect to it, and I had exactly the same problem!

I think that should be pretty easy for you Mikrotik guys to test out.

and at the same time, my laptop (win11) was asking for the WPA PSK. It said 'the network has changed since you last used it', but refused to accept the correct password.

Downgraded it to 7.8 - no problems.

hAP Ax2 running 7.9.2:

Cap lite running 6.47.10 (yes the clock is not set)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:47 am

See 2nd post ...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:28 am

Well, how about this.
I get it sucks to run into bugs. But your supout.rif might really have a clue for them vs a screenshot, especially if you repo on from the cAP as client since you can grab that supout.rif that too. The help.mikrotik.com bug report isn't exactly much harder than reposting here. Everyone believes you, and clearly your not alone – but a screenshot isn't getting closer to making sure it's fixed in 7.10+

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:54 am

See 2nd post ...
While @carl0s does seem to be a tad stubborn it is true that 7.10rc is ... well, Release Candidate. So I guess many of us are waiting for 7.10 release version to hop on it, specially so if 7.8 works for us and we're not hit by that IPv6 bug which was fixed in 7.9.1 (vs 7.9), i.e. everybody that is using wifiwave2 device as simple AP, safely parked inside a protected LAN.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:02 am

Oh, I am very well aware but that specific problem about password not being accepted anymore, was effectively fixed in 7.10 chain.
And yes, not yet stable version.

So either one goes back to 7.8 (with other problems) or sit things out on 7.9 (and accept the problems) or move to 7.10 (yes, rc3, I know).

As it happens this morning related to another problem I had a similar vent to support (issue with cAP AX requiring netinstall).
They asked me why I didn't use CAPS mode in 7.8: BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE ! Read your own release notes, it only came available as of 7.9 ...
And then why I moved to 7.10rc3 for those device ? Because wifi SUCKS on 7.9 chain. 7.10 is (with the use case I need it for) much more stable.
And then I was much calmer :lol:

I am with Amm0, screenshots are not the way to go here.
Make supout on the affected devices and sent to support.
Either they respond the issue is already fixed, or they learn something new which can only help everyone further on if they squash that bug.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:53 am

Oh, I am very well aware but that specific problem about password not being accepted anymore, was effectively fixed in 7.10 chain.
And yes, not yet stable version.

So either one goes back to 7.8 (with other problems) or sit things out on 7.9 (and accept the problems) or move to 7.10 (yes, rc3, I know).

As it happens this morning related to another problem I had a similar vent to support (issue with cAP AX requiring netinstall).
They asked me why I didn't use CAPS mode in 7.8: BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE ! Read your own release notes, it only came available as of 7.9 ...
And then why I moved to 7.10rc3 for those device ? Because wifi SUCKS on 7.9 chain. 7.10 is (with the use case I need it for) much more stable.
And then I was much calmer :lol:

I am with Amm0, screenshots are not the way to go here.
Make supout on the affected devices and sent to support.
Either they respond the issue is already fixed, or they learn something new which can only help everyone further on if they squash that bug.
I was in a hurry. I eventually left the office at 1am. I was throwing up a temporarily window to window (building to building) internet connection for an office whose leased-line has gone down. I left at 1am after having trouble/delays getting the PBX to register to the SIP trunk etc and had a 40 minute motorbike ride home and it was pretty cold out by that time.

I understand the supout.rif will be useful, and if I have another hap ax2 I will test myself. I bought 3, I can't remember where the third one was installed, but they all have an automatic firmware updater script running, so that one will be on 7.9.2 as well and probably having the same problems.
I have cap lites sat around everywhere, don't tend to use them much, but it was all I had on hand for doing this late night station-bridge thing last night.

I'm not being stubborn though. You say it was fixed in 7.10 rc, but the reddit people don't seem so sure, and Normis has basically just said that they don't know anything about the problem. So I thought posting a combination of two Mikrotik devices that exhibit the same issue might be a little bit more help than people surmising that it could be Apple devices or something.

Also, there are people in the reddit thread who have provided supout and opened tickets already.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am

I bought 3, I can't remember where the third one was installed, but they all have an automatic firmware updater script running, so that one will be on 7.9.2 as well and probably having the same problems.
I have cap lites sat around everywhere, don't tend to use them much, but it was all I had on hand for doing this late night station-bridge thing last night.
That 3th part of the first sentence worries me.
Don't auto-update.
Please, just don't.
Update from a centralized location where you can put a version which has been tested and so. OK.
But not auto-update just like that.

And I understand the pressure and urgency of late night troubleshooting and testing. All too well ... usually not the best time to do such things.
Personal experience.
Maybe that's why you don't remember anymore where the 3th device is ? :lol:
I'm not being stubborn though. You say it was fixed in 7.10 rc, but the reddit people don't seem so sure, and Normis has basically just said that they don't know anything about the problem. So I thought posting a combination of two Mikrotik devices that exhibit the same issue might be a little bit more help than people surmising that it could be Apple devices or something.
I'm sure mkx's comment was made with best intentions in mind.
As far as that specific problem goes for password being rejected, I have not seen it anymore since moving away from 7.9 chain (down to 7.8 or up to 7.10). Before it wouldn't take a day before I was confronted with it.
Normis is most likely referring to another issue ? There is an alpha version floating around for some users and they say it improved things for them w.r.t. to those disconnect messages.

This is a case of moving back down and wait for dust to settle with a stable release worthy of that label.
Or accept using a non-stable version (which I chose to do but that's my responsibility).

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:08 am

I bought 3, I can't remember where the third one was installed, but they all have an automatic firmware updater script running, so that one will be on 7.9.2 as well and probably having the same problems.
That 3th part of the first sentence worries me.
Don't auto-update.
Please, just don't.
Update from a centralized location where you can put a version which has been tested and so. OK.
But not auto-update just like that.
Thank you, yes you are right. I will set up my own location for firmware images and have them update from there.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:49 pm

this was my weirdest experience. i have 7.9.2 on my audience w/ ww2. no problems, everything is hunky dory.
now on a hap ax2 running 7.9.2 i saw something absolutely stunning.

very basic setup, a bridge with the wifi interfaces and 4 of the ethernet ports, no wired interfaces connected, ww2.
a dhcp server is running on the bridge interface, no VLANs, everything is untagged, no WPA auth just open - so a nail would be considered more complex.

the people who wanted to use this report issues: they're not able to get IP addresses via DHCP, just IPv4 Link local self generated address from 169.254/16.
did some troubleshooting on the data path side, everything looks good. clients are associated, they show up in the registration table, and also stay there.
started doing packet capture on the bridge: no incoming DHCP requests
started another packet capture on the wifi interfaces: no incoming DHCP requests.
essentially i only saw RSTP BPDUs being sent over the wifi interface.

tried to run sniffer for the MAC address of the connected wifi clients over all interfaces: no packets/frames were captured.

switched to basic bridge config (add the wifi interfaces as bridge port statically) from configuration datapath config (wifi interfaces are dynamically added to the bridge): no difference

upgraded to 7.10rc4 = everything is cool. probably a simple reboot would've fixed it as well.

i have another hap ax2 running 7.9.2 at the same place but using WPA2-PSK and acting as a dumb AP (e.g. no DHCP server, routing, nat) - that one works just fine. can't explain why this is any different, as the issue previously was clearly a data path related story.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:13 pm

I am the only one that thinks Mikrotik should SEND UNITS TO MEMBERS FOR VETTING A YEAR BEFORE TRYING TO SELL THEM???

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:15 pm

Problem is not hardware but software.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:36 pm

Exactly why they need LONG BETA CYCLES. And since you think it's software... They might actually be able to "fix it". Unlike the Wave2 chips stuck with a Wave 1 driver due to a HARDWARE limitation making it impossible to shoehorn the right driver in.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:16 pm

Dats why I for the most part now am ignoring this forum and threads for a year hoping MT gets their act together. No zerotrust cloudflare tunnel yet available in RoS or options package either. Yup hapax3 is in a box stone cold silent. No stress, life is good.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:23 pm

For follow up, the 3x AX2s that I have bought and installed at different companies, are all on 7.8 now.

The problem stopped as soon as it was downgraded to 7.8.

I see in the 7.11 beta thread that the issue still isn't fixed, so I won't be buying any more for now, and will just check back every few months.