Community discussions

MikroTik App

frangonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with brand new cAP ax

Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:05 am

Hi All, I hope someone can help as my search on this forum and Google overall got me nowhere.
I just got a brand new cAP ax and connected it to my RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN, upgraded both to 7.9.2 via the GUI. Changed the IP of the AP to various options, but continue to have the following two problems:
1. AP not connect to internet. Despite the fact that the AP gets an IP from the router and I'm able to ping 8.8.8.8 from the AP GUI
2. the CAPsMan does not provision to the AP (I followed Mikrotik;s official tutorial plus several others) - I does not shows on either the Remote AP, Radio or the Provisioning windows.

Shouldn't the AP simply connect to the internet with the default config plus the IP change from anything other than 192.168.88.1?
Why if both devices are on 7.9.2 CAPsMan does not provision the AP?

Getting kind of disappointed as I bought the AP thinking it will be easy to set it up with my router, so, all your help, any help is highly appreciated

PS: I have not posted here the config of neither device as don't want to just dump things without knowing what's useful.

Fran

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problems with brand new cAP ax

Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:26 am

CAPSMAN and easy don't really go together :lol:

For only 1 cAP, CAPSMAN is quite overkill.
Did you install the wifiwave2 package on RB4011 (since that's what's needed to control AX devices) ?
If not, legacy capsman can not control AX devices.

BEWARE: when you install that package, you will loose your 2.4GHz radio on RB4011 since it is incompatible with wifiwave2 driver.
So I come back to my first remark: capsman is overkill for 1 cAP AX.
You can run your home network perfectly without capsman.

If you DID install wifiwave2 package on capsman controller...
Did you set the cAP AX device to CAP mode ? Otherwise it will not request config.
If yes and it still doesn't work, post config of cAP AX in between [ ] code quotes (I will assume for now RB4011 should be ok, we'll see about that later).
Leave out serial number, public WAN IP and passwds.

frangonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problems with brand new cAP ax  [SOLVED]

Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Thanks for the help,

No, I did not install the wave2 package as I couldn't find it on the downloads page and I read that the latest one should have the support for it (actually the problem after upgrade is legacy wifi versions are not supported)

Yes, I did started the AP on CAP mode (total of 10 sec of pressing the button with solid green light confirmation)

Yes, the router has been working with no issues for a while already.

My objective is to have a "transparent" AP, so I don't need/want to set up a different network (range) for the wifi.

As you said, if CAPsMan is an overkill I am aiming to just manually config the AP to work with the router, is there a "config template" I can refer to?
Last edited by frangonzalez on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:35 pm

Sorry for late reply, somehow notifications are acting funky lately ...

See here:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... onprofiles

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:33 am