Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:37 am

Any plans for wAP ax?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP ax?

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:50 am

I certainly hope there are !

Note to Mikrotik, please use ASA plastic for the housing so it doesn't turn Mustard Yellow in our glorious southern sun. Thanks :)

dhoulbrooke
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 am

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:36 pm

It did really sting when I had to put a XV2-2T in at a beer garden.
Its right next to Nationals' Stadium in Washington DC.

Last year it was only carrying managers traffic.

This year they changed to a cloud based Point of Sales Terminals on WiFi. Went back into the router and built a new IP scope. Added a new VLAN tag to the switch. Generated a SSID for the Terminals and Handhelds.

2.5 months and all I have heard is "We were really nervous moving to the new Point of Sales system. But its been rock solid."

The point of sales vendor is considering dumping UniF--k (They have hundreds of installs with UniF--k) because they are so impressed with this site.

I don't wanna hear (see) one mother f--king word from any of you about about the price difference. The difference is: it works or it doesn't!

The hAP AC2 and CRS326-24G+2S-RM are doing their jobs.
But the radio duties HAD to be relegated to another vendor.

All THE POINT OF SALES DEVICES stay connected to 5Ghz across the entire site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Is it going to have dual SIMs? It's annoying there are no ARM devices with dual SIM support.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:24 pm

Is it going to have dual SIMs? It's annoying there are no ARM devices with dual SIM support.

On that page.....

wAP R ax, ww2 - tmp

"data+power"=11111

"WinBox"=22222

"Neighbors"=33333

QuickSet=44444

"admin"=55555

"WinBox Files"=77777

"QuickSet"=88888

"/System/Resources"=99999

EN - English - Quick Guide:

First steps:
Make sure your ISP allows hardware change and will issue an automatic IP address;
Open the bottom lid;
Connect the device to the included PoE injector with an Ethernet cable to the 11111 end;
Connect the data end of the PoE injector to the computer;
Connect the power adapter to the PoE injector;
Navigate to the network connections section on your computer and locate the wireless network named "MikroTik-...". Proceed to connect to it (check the wireless passwords on the sticker);

Configuration should be made via a wireless network using a mobile application or you can use the 22222 configuration tool https://mt.lv/winbox;
Download and open 22222, and choose the 33333 tab to find the device;
Click on the MAC address. The username is 55555 and there is no password (or, for some models, check user and wireless passwords on the sticker);
For a manual update of the device, visit https://mikrotik.com/download;
Select architecture based on your device model under 99999 and download the latest packages (routeros-x.x-x.npk, wifiwave2-x.x-x.npk) for this device and download them onto your PC;
Upload downloaded packages to the 77777 menu and reboot the device. By upgrading your RouterOS software to the latest version, you can ensure optimal performance, stability, and security updates;
In the 88888 menu set up the following: Choose your country, to apply country regulation settings;
Set up your wireless network password in the left field;
Set up your router password in the bottom field.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:28 pm

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:31 pm

On that page.....
Yeah that page requires a login.

I guess I was hoping for the wAPaxR with LTE – I forgot they made AP-only ones.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:35 pm

The code is wAPGiR-5HaxD2HaxD&R11e-LTE6, has PoE out (500mW @ 24V) on 2nd ethernet

kravemir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:40 pm

Hopefully comes soon. I'm positively excited about WifiWave2, as 802.11k/v/r fast roaming works great.

Though, would hAP ax² in plastic enclosure with IP67 rating work? Well, obviously it won't be IP67 anymore, once I drill holes to the bottom of it to connect ethernet cable with PoE, but enclosure still should drain water around and hAP ax² should remain dry.

However, besides it being very ugly solution, what about humidity. Can hAP ax² handle high humidity during rains? And, freezing temperatures, such as -32°C?

jmrackley1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:19 pm

Any update on the possibility of a wAP ax?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:37 pm

And, freezing temperatures, such as -32°C?
I think the chip will make it hot enough to withstand low temperatures.
High temperatures are more likely to be a problem.

kravemir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:14 am

Hopefully comes soon. I'm positively excited about WifiWave2, as 802.11k/v/r fast roaming works great.

To deliver WifiWave2 CAPsMAN compatibility in outdoors, wAP ac (ARM only) can be used with RouterOS 7.13 (beta release notes) and the new WiFi driver.

I've successfully tested wAP ac on 7.13beta as CAP, with hAP ax³ on 7.12 as WifiWave2 CAPsMAN. I posted a little bit of details in the linked beta release thread.

The wAP ax is not out yet. However, for my use case, I just need wireless coverage with seamless roaming. Speed doesn't matter as long as it's above 20Mbit. So, wAP ac is good enough.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:53 am

And, freezing temperatures, such as -32°C?
I think the chip will make it hot enough to withstand low temperatures.

If power accidentally fails during low temperature periods, then device will freeze to death. Literally.

But I agree on high temperature issues being more probable.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:09 am

Just some thoughts ...

I have the impression with the release of 7.13beta and the wave2 ac-drivers, MT shot a bit in their own foot.
On one side it will make sure current owners of wap AC have no real incentive anymore to move towards AX. Potential missed sales.
On the other hand, since wAP AX is not yet available, it does bridge a gap until the new device is available (are they buying time, perhaps ?).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 am

But we did get a lot of love from our current AC device users, did we not :)
Let's hope it pays back in the long term

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:43 am

On one side it will make sure current owners of wap AC have no real incentive anymore to move towards AX. Potential missed sales.
On the other hand, since wAP AX is not yet available, it does bridge a gap until the new device is available (are they buying time, perhaps ?).
Hi!
Partly agree, but as an owner of a few wAPac, cAPac, until now I was just thinking to replace them by some other vendors APs. Primarily because of the different quirks and missing WPA3, and not because they are not the latest and fastest! Also because I haven´t seen MT giving it´s wireless, the much needed love.

Now I´m thinking: MT goes into the right direction with consumer WLANs, so it´s worth staying with MT APs! (and I already bought a cAPax, hAPax[2|3|lite|

Especially if they add back the VLAN tagging for WLAN subinterfaces in 7.13bXX!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am

@normis:
don't get me wrong !
I welcome what you guys did a lot, it really shows your company is willing to make the extra effort for your customer base.
It will certainly help to boost sales on the still existing arm-AC devices now they can be reused/reconfigured and even expanded in numbers for existing setups pending wAP AX release (not soon then, I guess ?).

So yes, lots of appreciation for that move. Nobody saw that one coming :lol:

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:41 pm

Mikrotik are slowly refreshing their AC line. I think that outdoor AX devices may be quite close to being launched

kravemir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:17 pm

I have the impression with the release of 7.13beta and the wave2 ac-drivers, MT shot a bit in their own foot.

People buy new devices, because they are doing a new deployment, or replacing faulty devices, or upgrading/expanding existing deployment.

In upgrade/expand scenarios of old deployments, customers might try another brand for access points. If it's gonna break compatibility, then one might as well just go to different vendor.

In replace scenario. It depends if one wants to be investing in legacy system, that is incompatible with new generation of models. So, one might go with upgrade/expand scenario here, as well.

In new deployments. It varies, if one needs outdoors coverage immediately, then it's going straight for a different brand of access points.

With this move, MikroTik removed compatibility-breakage reason to try/switch to other brand in all above scenarios.

It is also strategically a good move, because long term interest in brand requires a trust. In case of networking one wants to trust, that future new devices will be compatible with old ones, or old ones will be brought up to date to be compatible with new ones - on software level. In case of 802.11r/k/v it's more important, because there's (AFAIK) no vendor-agnostic standard for multi-AP cooperation.

I believe, many people waited on what happens next. Or, went with other brand already. I.e., now - after this move, I will purchase another wAP ac once winter passes in order to complete the coverage of my garden.

Additionally, it shows, that MikroTik cares about users. And, rather makes things better over time, than going with "planned obsolescence" approach to force new sales. I love this move.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Additionally, it shows, that MikroTik cares about users. And, rather makes things better over time, than going with "planned obsolescence" approach to force new sales. I love this move.
💙

In fact, I ordered a few wAPacR's on Monday.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:52 am

You know... It occured to me... All the times I have used that old email as a cudgel.

06/10/2019
"...If and when we will fix it, I will contact you with a more specific cause of the issue."

Managing to jam the WAVE 2 driver on the AC radios... Would fix the issues that made us replace a couple hundred wAPs and cAPs... Might finally be addressed.

Turn around time: 4 years and 5 months.