Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kentzo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Why does in-Winbox Terminal via RoMON requires a whitelisted IP?

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:55 am

My network is set up such that you can connect to other routers only via Gateway Router, either via SSH-forwarding or via RoMON. On routers only the SSH IP service is enabled, and the /user is only allowed from the Gateway Router IP that belongs to a dedicated VLAN subnet.

Despite the Winbox IP service being disabled and user being disallowed by source address, you can still use the app and pretty much everything: /user/active report that the connection is "by-romon". But when you press the Terminal button, the login will be refused unless the /user record is modified to allow PC's address.

What confuses me is that while both Winbox and in-Winbox Terminal session appear to be carried by RoMON, i.e. complete IP firewall bypass, the latter attempts to enforce IP address restriction while simultaneously disregarding IP services restriction.

I did not use RoMON before, was it always like this?
Terminal.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.